Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moloch05

Reaction score
Here is the second post of herps that I have seen in the Wollongong area in the last 3 years.

One of my favourites here is the Southern Leaf-tailed Gecko (Phyllurus platurus). These geckos seem to be active much of the year.

adults with regenerated tails:
leaf1.jpg

leaf10.jpg

leaf8.jpg

leaf4.jpg

leaf5.jpg

adults with original tails:
leaf2.jpg

leaf3.jpg

Adults can be hard to spot on the rocks, but juveniles are even more cryptic.
leaf11.jpg

leaf14.jpg

Eastern Small-eyed Snakes (Cryptophis nigrescens). I think that these are the most common snake in the hills near Wollongong.
smalleyed1.jpg

smalleyed2.jpg

smalleyed3.jpg

smalleyed2-1.jpg

... preparing to shed:
smalleyed1-1.jpg

Golden-crowned Snakes (Cacophis squamulosus) are probably the second most common snake in this area. Sometimes, I see them in my yard in the suburbs.
goldencrowned2.jpg

goldencrowned1.jpg

goldencrowned3.jpg

goldencrowned4.jpg

goldencrowned13.jpg

I see a few Marsh Snakes (Hemiaspis signata) every summer.
marsh3.jpg

marsh1.jpg

Red-bellied Black Snakes (Pseudechis porphyriacus) and not scarce but they are shy and rarely hold still long enough for a photo.
redbellied1.jpg

... this one was dead on the road.
redbelly1.jpg

Eastern Tiger Snakes (Notechis scutatus) seem to be scarce or I don't know where to look for them. I only see one or two of these snakes each year.
tiger1.jpg

... this one was still alive but had been fatally injured at Byarong Park.
tiger1-1.jpg

... a colourful juvenile:
tiger2.jpg

I rarely see Diamond Pythons (Morelia spilota).
python4.jpg

diamond2.jpg

diamond1.jpg

There are a number of turtles in a swamp near Primbee. I assume that these must be Snake-necked Turtles (Chelodina longicollis) based on the range map in my herp book.
turtle1.jpg

These Green and Golden Bell Frogs (Litoria aurea) lived in an industrial area. I helped out on a survey of these beautiful frogs one evening.
bell1.jpg

bell2.jpg

Litoria phyllachroa (or nudidigita, Henry?)
phyllochroa2.jpg

phyllochroa1.jpg

This annelid was on the trail during a summer thunderstorm. It was the biggest worm that I have ever seen and was more than two boots in length.
worm.jpg

Spring flowers are great in the Wollongong area, particularly along the top of the escarpment. Peas are the most conspicuous family:
pea1.jpg

flower4.jpg

flower5.jpg

flower2.jpg

... a milkwort (Comesperma sp.)
flower3.jpg

... a flannel flower (Actinotus sp. )
flannel1.jpg

... everlastings
flower1.jpg

... the stunning waratahs:
flower7.jpg

flower6.jpg

Regards,
David

Absolutely love the Diamond pics!!!

Gorgeous piccies, thanks for sharing. Stunning flowers!

WOW, excellent pictures of awesome animals!!! :shock:

Thank-you very much for sharing!!! :)

Gorgeous pics as usual David!
Who said that diamonds around here were more black than Gosford area?? LOL

brilliant shots, that shot with the pythons mouth open is a stunner. all the platurus look like they have a lot of mites, what is the reason they have so many compared to other herps? I love crowned snakes, need to get a few pictures of them. if I ever come down to the gong I will definantl go out herping and see if i can find some of this awsome stuff

around mt kembla there are tiger snakes, i have had to id some that turned up in a yard, and an upstairs room!

and once upon a time there was a death adder in the dunes near the steel works....

i miss golden crowned snakes, they used to come out on wet nights in summer when i lived in austinmer... they have such a great defensive display for such a little animal.

great photos, and special commendation on the she oaks, i spent 8 years in the 'gong and never saw them.

Awesome photos there. I think your phyllochroa looks like nudidigitus, they tend to have more gold in the stripe and it is much more extensive. Great to see L. aurea are still around in the Illawarra!

Awesome photo's.......very nice diamond.
See any animals in your travels ????

Top pics David, one of your best threads yet...... I lived down the gong for a few years and never did any herping down that way :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back