Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah those "phyllochroa" are both nudidigitus. Nice pics.

Cheers,
Grant

Thanks, everyone.

Ryan,
Danny Brown commented to me in a post on the geckophiles forum long ago about the mites. Apparantly, they are harmless but common on Phyllurus. Wollongong is not bad for herps but I think that your area would be more productive since it is further north.

Jack,
I think that you are the only one I have heard of who has seen Death Adders near the 'Gong. Golden-crowns are great little snakes.

frogboy,
Thanks for the info on differentiating phyllochroa/nudidigitus

mungus,
I sometimes see nocturnal mammals such as Brush Tailed Possums or Sugar Gliders. Swamp (Black) Wallabies are pretty common. On occasion, I encounter Antechinus either during the day or at night. I don't know the species represented here. Do you recognize them?

antechinus1.jpg

antechinus3.jpg

antechinus1.jpg

... rosting White-throated Treecreeper
wttreecreeper1.jpg

Regards,
David

Excellent photos. Thanks for posting.
Administration checked your profile and you are member here for long time, you newer get involved in arguments. Quality of your posts are educational and great value for our site.

You are first member getting free membership for one year for something like this.
We are lucky to have you as member.:D:D:D

Cheers

I'm not particularly good with mammals but I think your antechinus is either the Yellow Footed Antechinus (Antechinus flavipes) or the Brown Antechinus (Antechinus stuartii). The first photo seems to show the characteristic yellow flanks and rump of A. flavipes but the second + third ones seem to lack this colour and look more like A. stuartii. Were they different specimens in each photo?

Froggy,

The first two Antechinus photos are of the same animal. The shots were taken in the afternoon. The third shot is of an Antechinus that I encountered at night while looking for geckos.

Regards,
David

love the diamond pics!!!

how lucky are u seeing all that stuff in teh wild!!! :)

re herps

Bloody nice diamond, love leaf-tails, i've never seen a Tiger snake around Wollongong.
I noticed that the number of tiger snakes dropped right off at least in the northern escarpment of wollongong since the early eighties when they was common,same thing with lyrebirds which were really common,probably predation by feral cats.
How good are your photos Moloch,outstanding,like the one of the diamond with its mouth open,would look good in a publication of some kind !
The little marsupial looks like an antechinus stuartii Moloch,as well as caves and rocks they used to be found commonly under rubbish in the northern suburbs escarpment very commonly,probably more cat food.

Last edited:
Thanks Chris and zulu,

zulu,
I found this partially eaten tiger snake on the Ring Track of Mt. Kiera a couple of summers ago. I did not see what killed it but I have seen feral cats in the area before. I walked the same stretch of trail on the way and then about 40 minutes later on the return. On the way up, the snake was not there so something caught and killed it during the afternoon.

tiger1.jpg

Regards,
David

re herps

I dont know what would get an adult tiger snake david,bird of prey or road kill maybe,they do die from natural causes like severe body blisters and parasite build up,ive found one that would of died with ulcerated blisters,another large one was found shot with multiple air rifle pellet wounds,was a large healthy snake previously

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back