Hey everyone! I'm new and need some advice on handling Monsieur Fang, my Stimmy...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But by the same logic, if you remove it from it's enclosure to feed it then it will associate getting removed with getting fed ;)

Depends on the snake I think. Some have no problems being fed inside, some do.

I have had 7 snakes in my like 4 of them im feed in their enclosure and they became agressive when ever i put something in there or tried to pick them up my last 3 snakes i havnt fed in their enclosure and are perfecly fine with me moving stuff arround in their enclosure and picking them up.

I'll say the same thing i always do to people who believe this theory. If feeding them in their enclosure makes them think it's feed time whenever anything goes in there, then by that logic taking them out to feed them would make them think it's feed time any time they get taken out. It's just down to the snakes temperament, not where you feed them.

its simple...some snakes are aggressive some are docile. ive had many different types of species and some were more cage defensive than others but im not changing where i feed them because their wild animals you just gotta deal with it. after a while they realise that your hand is too big to fit in their mouth anyways haha

no but by putting them in a feeding tub they will know its feeding time, im not talking about picking them up

no but by putting them in a feeding tub they will know its feeding time, im not talking about picking them up
You are giving pythons a little too much credit, they aren't as smart as some keepers like to believe.
They are designed to eat,poo,rest and breed.

The way I see it, all you are doing by feeding in a separate tub is putting them under undue stress by moving them.
The only time I could see this practice needed is when 2 snakes are housed together, other than that it's just an extra step in an already simple process.

I'll say the same thing i always do to people who believe this theory. If feeding them in their enclosure makes them think it's feed time whenever anything goes in there, then by that logic taking them out to feed them would make them think it's feed time any time they get taken out...

Not really, - if they're removed from enclosure to be handle on a regular basis, then they get used to be removed not necessary to be fed!

In my case, I handle regularly my Woma so he gets used to my 5yo. (and I make sure it's not too late in evening, as it will be when my boy goes to sleep and pythons are more active hunting)

Only every 10 days or so, I remove my Woma a bit later in evening and feed it in a seperate tub. My Woma as no idea he's going to be fed until food (hooper) comes his way.

I've also adopted this strategy because we were planning on a new python and it makes it easier to feed them out of their enclosure/separately.

Because his out regularly, he takes handling a lot easier cause his a lot calmer and used to it.

I think it's easier for a newbie to also do this way.

But again, It's also " down to the snake's temperament, not where you feed them"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
One thing worth considering, fundamental to the safety of your snake - if the hide is so heavy that you need two hands to lift it, and you drop it when you get a fright, you risk killing your snake. Get a hide that is light and easy to manage. These snakes are not often sedentary - they move to a different location frequently, so will readily adapt to any sort of shelter you provide. They don't look too flash, but appropriately sized cardboard boxes are ideal shelters, and can be discarded when they get a bit crappy.

Feeding outside the cage to avoid habituation is a nonsense - some snakes bite when they're cage-defensive regardless of whether they're being fed or not. They're individuals like us. Funny how novice keepers develop these theories. Unless you have a tub for every snake, and each tub remains dedicated a particular snake, you compromise quarantine and good husbandry practice every time you put a snake into a tub that hasn't been fully sterilised following the previous feeding.

Jamie

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, but that's just not true.

I have always fed all of my snakes in their enclosures. Some have always had a nasty disposition while others will allow me to pick them straight up without so much as warning them of my presence.

I am a novice compared to you having only 3 pythons but I have fed mine in their enclosures too all the time. When I want take them out to get on the grass I put on a gardening glove and show them my hand flat out and then they are fine. Actually my MD male lets me know when he wants out as he climbs the sliding glass and I simply open it and he comes onto my hand. The coastal is always expecting food so I always use the glove to touch her then pick her up.

The best thing to do when you want to get a potentially bitey snake out of its enclosure is to roll up a sheet of newspaper, and when the snake approaches, or before it gets itself organised to strike, just touch it on the nose with the paper roll - it will recoil and you can quickly reach in and remove it before it can regroup. They hate being touched on the snout. No need for gloves.

Jamie

Everyone is different and uses the method they are most comfortable with. I feed all mine in their enclosures.
However I never remove them from their hides. I feel that their hide is their place where they feel safe and secure
so lifting the hide to get them out takes that away. Kinda like if a big hand took the ceiing off my bedroom and swooped down and grabbed me out of bed. But then again that is my interpretation of what there hide is for. They probably don't have a theory on it themselves.

I can bet that the breeder with 1500 snakes doesn't take them out of their enclosures to feed them. In the end its a pointless argument as its not based on hard evidence but personal experience. People will do what works for them - at least until it stops working.

Hi everyone, i have two womas, my female has regurgitated her food. she has done this twice now. is this normal, maybe Im feeding her too much. She gets fed every seven days.
Any ideas???

Hey Robynne :)

All the standard questions; what are her temps? How long have you had her? Have you moved her vivarium or renovated the inside? :p Anything else changed?

Hey Robynne :)

All the standard questions; what are her temps? How long have you had her? Have you moved her vivarium or renovated the inside? :p Anything else changed?
Her temps are 30, 26. I have had her for about two months now, and her vivarium is the same, havnt moved anything. The guy I got her off said he wasnt sure but she could be pregnant. She is in the vivaruim with smaller male, but the were together when I got her. Shes a really good eater, but the last two times she has brought it back up. My male hasnt eaten since I got him, but not to concerned about that.
I would appreciate any info you have, and thanks for replying.
new 036.jpg

Oh and she is shedding but only little bits on her head and upper body. Little bald patches on her. You can see it on her head in this photo.

Shes really active and seems to be really healthy, maybe I should worm her.

I bought a breeding pair of rats yersterday as I read on this that pet store frozens arnt that great, but it will be a while before she gets any of them, she gets to rip around my house as often as she wants and she loves it. I also read on this that I shouldnt get her out so often, but she bangs on the glass until she gets out.

Last edited:
Haha, she sounds like a bit of a character :p

I know that they can get funny with eating during a shed, but I would have thought she just wouldn't eat instead of regurgitating it... Maybe it gets to a certain point that's a bit sore due to shedding so she brings it back up? Just speculation.

I would wait for the experts to post, maybe start your own thread :)

Edit: If her shed is coming off in patches, that doesn't sound normal. Have a search for shedding threads, plenty of helpful tips :)

But again, I'm just a beginner, so my advice may be off!

Last edited:
Ideally it should shed in one piece and leave the animal velvety smooth and clean looking. Your temps may be a bit too cool for winter, womas are snakes of the hotter climates, so I'd bump the heat up to about 36C at the hot spot. If it was gravid, it probably wouldn't be interested in food at all - so regurging has to be caused by something else.

Jamie

"cage protective" - crap
"feeding out of its enclosure" - crap

Sorry for being blunt - when people start treating their snakes as lower vertebrates (good on instincts, incapable of thinking with bugger-all memory) and not as some highly intelligent, affectionate beings and put some effort into understanding and correct interpreting their behaviour, both the keepers and their captive snakes will be better of.

Hey everyone!

So, I did it! Hurrah! :D

He fed today and is happily lazing about under the heat lamp in a food coma.

I think it's love.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back