Hey misster, one false move and you're hisstory

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

herptrader

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Published: http://www.theage.com.au/national/h...and-youre-hisstory-20081227-75xd.html?page=-1
Source: The Age (on line)

Typical warning for the summer season. Interestingly the pic would appear to be of a harmless and quite cute Diamond Python.
wr_192_snakeseason-192x128.jpg

• Tom Reilly
  • December 28, 2008
OURS is a country full of dangers, where a bite from one of our many deadly creatures can leave you fighting for life. At least, that's what we like to tell ourselves, says an authority on venoms.
"As a nation, we definitely have a peculiar pride in our poisonous snakes, spiders and jellyfish, even though most of us will rarely, if ever, come into contact with these animals," the director of the Australian Venom Research Unit, Ken Winkel, says.
"It's an attitude I've never come across in developing nations where the dangers from poisonous bites are potentially far more deadly."
But for those Australians who are exposed to contact with poisonous creatures, the danger season is here. Warm weather brings snakes — and drought conditions can force them out of hiding and into residential areas as they look for water.
The unit and its predecessor, the Commonwealth Serum Laboratories, have been studying the poisons of native creatures for nearly 80 years, producing antivenoms for all known venomous Australian snakes.
But while huge strides have been made in preventing snake-bite deaths, more needs to be done, Dr Winkel says. Antivenoms need to be improved and developed to make them even more effective — and education is needed to prevent deaths.
"Each year a handful of people die as a result of snake bites and many, if not all, of those deaths could be avoided," he says.
"Some people still aren't aware of the best first-aid techniques, such as applying a pressure bandage to the area of the bite rather than using a tourniquet, or that you should try not to move too much rather than running for help.
"Incredibly, some people, especially in the country, will ignore a bite, taking a chance that the snake either wasn't poisonous or that the bite wasn't deep enough."
The danger of a lack of first-aid knowledge was shown in January when Hayden Parkinson, 16, died of a heart attack after being bitten by an eastern brown snake in suburban Sydney.
"It was reported that the boy ran for help, which is one of the worst things you can do as it spreads the venom around the body," Dr Winkel says.
A little knowledge might have saved his life — and could certainly save others. Soon after the teenager's death, the venom research unit, based in Melbourne University's pharmacology department, received federal funds to produce a book advising children on what to do if bitten.
The unit also provides expert advice around the clock to doctors nationwide. Each year its medical helpline receives more than 1000 calls, most in summer.
But while preventing Australian snake-bite deaths is the primary focus of the unit, it is also looking at ways to help developing countries deal with the problem. Worldwide, more than 100,000 people die from snake bites each year, with between 200,000 and 400,000 partially disabled.
"As a developed country that is leading the research in antivenoms, we need to be sharing our knowledge with the developing world where snake bites in particular are a cause of death," Dr Winkel says.
"In a country like Papua New Guinea, around 3000 people are bitten by snakes each year, which is a similar number to here in Australia, but there, more than 200 people die from their bites a year."
At an international conference in Melbourne last month, Dr Winkel and other delegates called for snake bites to be added to the World Health Organisation's list of neglected tropical diseases, a move aimed at drawing greater resources.
But during the coming summer months, it will be domestic issues which will again be the unit's main concern.
The facts about snake bites

What to do if bitten: Apply a bandage all the way along the affected limb. The bandage should be firm but not too tight. Avoid moving limb; seek medical help as soon as possible.
How antivenom is made: Animals such as horses are injected with a harmless amount of venom, which causes them to produce chemicals to counteract the poison. Their blood is then removed and purified to make antivenom.
Dangerous snakes:■Inland taipan, which lives in outback Australia, has large fangs and the world's strongest venom but rarely bites humans because it lives in remote areas.
■Eastern brown snake, common nationwide, has the second most powerful venom in the world.

Seems like a pretty balanced story focusing on recommended first aid rather than scaremongering. Pic is pretty funny tho.

When I open that story up via the link you've posted the pic doesn't come up.....schizophrenic computers....

I guess in that little pic there it could appear to be a diamond python.....

diamond python?????

buy some spectacles please!

that is a venomous Broad Headed Snake Hoplocephalus bungaroides

Cheers,
Scott

yeah that is a broad headed, very nice specimen tho. and if u look closely you can do a rough scale count to see it is a ven

hahah no one go herping with herptrader :D

Not the kind of mistake you want to make!!

we've all made id mistakes.... heck i cought a coastal taipan thinking it was an eastern brown... found out 2 months l8r from an experienced herper when i showed them a couple pics of the beautiful animal. so i'm yet to find an eastern brown lol

but is easy to do, especially with poor picture quality

If the media was following their usual pattern, it would have been a diamond python. Twice I've seen stock photos of Water Pythons used in the Herald Sun as examples of Eastern Brown snakes. One of the articles even labeled the photo "the snake that attacked the victim". And don't forget that deadly dog lead with a big brass clip on it last year that cunningly disguised itself as a Tiger snake! Poor old Mischa the dog, bitten by its own lead. :oops:

we've all made id mistakes.... heck i cought a coastal taipan thinking it was an eastern brown... found out 2 months l8r from an experienced herper when i showed them a couple pics of the beautiful animal. so i'm yet to find an eastern brown lol

but is easy to do, especially with poor picture quality

Got a pic mate?

If the media was following their usual pattern, it would have been a diamond python. Twice I've seen stock photos of Water Pythons used in the Herald Sun as examples of Eastern Brown snakes.

well the media has a way of not only twisting the pics but also stories, it is such a common and classic event with them.... yet some people just eat it up like it's the bible's words lol even if they have known someone that the media's warped stories on... all ya can do is laugh at the media hehe:lol:

I think they are trying to make a point of people incorrectly I.ding snakes...hence the comment 'appears to be the harmless Diamond Python'........

I think they are trying to make a point of people incorrectly I.ding snakes...hence the comment 'appears to be the harmless Diamond Python'........

well thats a good point. like i said with poor quality pics it makes it so much harder to id anyway, i've known a couple catchers to still mix up some id's among the browns and blacks

That's an easy to tell Broady,

You can tell straight away, no pits, broad head, wrong shaped head.

hahah no one go herping with herptrader :D

Not the kind of mistake you want to make!!

A Broud-Headed snake's venom is not very toxic at all......;) But yeah I get why your going at, but when you go hearping your should never handle any of the wild reptiles, poisoness or not.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back