Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Saz, I have no problem killing something that expects me to kill it. Like, if you're fishing and you catch a fish. That thing expects to die when it sees you. If you catch a rat in your hay shed. It expects to die. But when you take you nice little bunny from its cage it thinks it has a friend with you. Then its good old friend turns into Mr Hyde. Thats just not me. thats all. And the local pet shops, and junglemad, love me for that.

Maybe thats why I dont really keep snakes. Only 2.

Nup, I was always coming home with abandoned or injured animals/birds. I drove my poor parents mad, baby rabbits, bats, hedgehogs, pheasants, blackbirds, robins, cats, the list goes on and on. I'm still the same, except obviously the animals are different, hehehe!

I'm a total mother when it comes to animals. You will find this amusing, but I may as well give you a laugh. I have always wanted geckos, ever since I knew they existed as a little girl. When I was thirteen (to long ago to remember) my parents decided I was old enough to get a pair of geckos. I researched for weeks and was so excited about getting them. However, when it came to the cruch I couldn't bring myself to feed live crickets, so I made the heartbreaking decision not to get them. It was hideous!

At least I'm not that sensitive anymore, hehehe!

:0)

Yeah, good call. I am happy to feed insects but I dont think they have any trust in me anyway. so I have breached nothing. Maybe we could form a "Rodents Anonymous" group within APS. Perhaps Slatey will give us our own section???

My crickets are well cared for until dinnertime. I take comfort in that. Besides, with 1500 or so chirruping away I'm almost glad to get rid of a hundred or so every couple of days, just to make it less noisy in there. Yes, I think a support group would be great, hehehe! I wonder if there is such a thing as a vegetarian Python?

What else do you keep Pete? Any geckos in your collection?

Nope, I am only a baby so my collection is pretty basic. Eastern Water Dragons mainly. a couple of pythons and a pair of Frillies. I also have a little lace monitor that is only about 2 moths old. Oh. also tortoises. Forgot them because I never see them. I have an outside pit.

But I love geckos. I will get some one day.

Awwww...a nice collection of animals. How long have you had your toroises. My Aunty has had hers for forty odd years, and she doesn't even know how old he was when she got him as a child. Amazing creatures.

Geckos are just amazing. They are all so different. The most aggressive gecko I have is so tiny. It's shocking that the little guy has the guts to even try. I can't help but smile when he does his threat display. Can't do much for his ego.

Moggill!! yes very small world :D
I feed my guys crickets, woodies & ocassionally frozen pinkies which the wife doesn't like to know about
But she is happy for me to breed the crickets & woodies then feed them to the guys... funny that way

I'm with Peter, I will have to get some geckos one day, have always loved them

I think I'm almost to 40 animals now. Currently I keep D.Steindachneri, D.Dameaum, D.Galeatus, S.Ciliaris, S.Taenicauda, S.Intermedius, S.Williamsi, N.Amyae, N.Levis, U.Milli, H.Bineoi and S.Swaini. I love them all to bits!

What do you keep Rob?

Hello saz,

Get places quick Pete :roll: Im a bad road rager i must admit but it does get realy hectic
:wink:
And beleive it or not its going to be 45oC tomorrow and misty your right about it probably gonna snow on monday (not literaly) :wink:

WOW!! just about every type of Gecko. I now know who to contact when i'm ready for some :lol:

I have only just started keeping herps.. very much a newbie... been interested for a long time
I have 3 adult Acckies, 2 Spotted tree monitors, 3 hatchling Vitties turning up next week for my wife. I also hope to get a pair of Bredli next year hypos will be nice. still convincing the other half that they are just lizard without legs :roll:
also keen to get more monitors... don't know when to stop, i think they are starting to take over the dogs!!

Hope you have air con. If not go see a movie marathon at the cinema through the day. WAY too hot!

Actually quite a few of them are spitting out eggs like there's no tomorrow so I will probably have some excess if you are interested. I can't keep all of them or it's going to be a mad house.

Nowhere near every type!! It's amazing how many species there actually are. I am hopefully getting a few more species before the season is out too.

I'm a newbie too. I've only been keeping gex since August. They must like living with me though as the adults are continuously breeding. I'm doing my best to keep the weight on them. So far they are all doing well.

Ooooo...if your Acckies have any hatchlings that you are willing to move on let me know. They are the small ones aren't they? (not much room, so can only have small animals, hehehe!) You have a lovely collection so far.

What dogs do you keep?

Yeah let me know what you have available, i'm sure i will probably be interested. Gee you have a decent collection for such a short time.
I'm hoping they will lay in the coming weeks, or they are just fat :roll: i was told they are 2 females & 1 male, but can't be certain. if they don't lay this season i will get them Xrayed to find out for sure what sex they are. I think that is the hardest thing with buying Monitors
Yes they are quite a small monitor with heaps of character

The dogs i keep are Alaskan Malamutes, i currently have 4 that i show & are looking to have my first litter possibly the end of 2006. they take up a lot of your time, so it's a big change to herps
the herp community is a lot more helpful than the competitive dog showing/breeding world... :x

I bet. It sounds as bad a showing horses...scary bunch of people. Krufts in the UK was always amusing to watch. There was always some controvesy in the newspapers when it was on regarding cheating or the like. Funny lot of people, it seems (present company excluded of course!) You chose a beautiful breed. I've always wondered how those guys cope with the heat? Does the insulated fur keep the heat out as well as the heat in? How fantastic to have your own litter of pups!!!

I've spent a fair bit on the gecko collection so far. I'm glad that they are happily breeding away as I need to recoup some of the money!! It's also good as it means I will be able to swap/sell offspring to support my hobby, so I'm happy. As long as we get to a point where it is sort of paying for itself that will be good. At the moment they are getting around 400 - 500 crickets per week (3-4 crickets each per meal and being fed every other day at the moment to keep the weight on them for breeding) so even that is costing me a fortune. I don't regret it though. They are amazing little things. I've been really lucky and have picked up some beautiful geckos.

Will let you know when I have some available. How much do hatchling Ackies go for? Maybe we could do a swap if your little ones turn out to be gravid. Do you have pics of them?

How big and enclosure do you need for Ackies? Are they alright to be outside? I was thinking that I could have their enclosure outside on the patio, it would be undercover. Do you have a pic of their enclosure?

Here are a some pics of a few of my little ones.

29c253a8.jpg

87edab1a.jpg

f2b66ba8.jpg

fdd290be.jpg

2f86042d.jpg

c069ee0f.jpg

263758c3.jpg

fdbe9005.jpg

9673f0a6.jpg

e66d8428.jpg

8a66f9ba.jpg

dscf0014.jpg

Eyes.jpg

dscf0004.jpg

That looks like an awesome collection, congrats!!

Hehehe! 40 is nothing! Danny Brown has over 400!! I love all of them, most have names. It usually takes a month or so before I come up with a name. This little terror is called Mr Crankypants for obvious reasons. His girlfriend is called Grace, because in comparison to him she is nothing but a lady in behaviour!

7ae7ea78.jpg

Thanks ether. I have been very lucky and managed to pic up some fantastic geckos.
That's only a few of them though, although I think I posted a picture of all the different species I have except one.

Hopefully the collection will continue to grow. They are the most adorable little things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back