Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rowie

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm Rowie, I live in the northern beaches of Cairns and I am finally starting to put things together to get my first snake! I grew up in snake country and have always loved them, maybe because I was born in the Snake, but probably because I'm used to having them around.

I currently work in a local wildlife park which has a number of different species of snake and one of my workmates has a pregnant olive python. It should be a decent sized clutch and I will be getting one of the hatchlings once they are feeding well. I'm fairly confident handling pythons and certainly know their basic care, but I am definitely going to be doing as much research as possible to ensure I look after my own snake to the best of my ability.

Olives are my favorite snake and have been since I was very young, and I have the space to put up a large enclosure when it needs it, but any hints and advice that anyone has would be much appreciated.

The only other herp I have in a northern yellow faced turtle, emydura tanybaraga, which is two years old, in a 6ft tank and is absolutely gorgeous! He lives in a community tank with native fish and crustaceans and has so much personality.

I am also contemplating getting a second snake shortly after I get an olive but I am still deciding between getting a black head python, a jungle python or something else. Any suggestions would be lovely.

Welcome. I'm holidaying in Cairns from 25 December and visiting Cairns Tropical Zoo.

Hope you enjoy Cairns when you come! Christmas time can be a bit wet though. :( CTZ is a fun little zoo. I especially love the bird show. They have a huge reticulated python there that laid something like 40+ eggs earlier this year! A gorgeous creature, and soo fat just before she laid! She's now half the width she was when she was gravid.

Welcome to the family, ill be up in august for a wedding might have a look there too

Hope you enjoy Cairns when you come! Christmas time can be a bit wet though. :( CTZ is a fun little zoo. I especially love the bird show. They have a huge reticulated python there that laid something like 40+ eggs earlier this year! A gorgeous creature, and soo fat just before she laid! She's now half the width she was when she was gravid.

Welcome Rowie!

Why are they breeding the retic? Would they just kill the 40 hatchlings or what? Not sure what happens in that situation, if anyone knows please post! :)

Welcome Rowie. I am a born and bred Cairns girl but I haven't lived there for 4 years, I miss it though, such a beautiful place. Which beach do you live at? I assume you work at Cairns Tropical Zoo? that place is great.

Hi Rowie.good luck with your olive :)

Why are they breeding the retic? Would they just kill the 40 hatchlings or what? Not sure what happens in that situation, if anyone knows please post! :)

If they dont want them to hatch they wont incubate them, but if they do they usually trade them off to other zoos. Retics are popular for display

Welcome Rowie!

there was a thread on this the other week and i think someone was a keeper at the zoo and said that they were going to ship them to other zoos

So which zoo do you work at?

I work at Kuranda Koala Gardens, which has macropods, wombats, koalas, snakes, turtles, monitors, dragons and fresh water crocs. It's a sister park to the Cairns Tropical Zoo, and I volunteer at CTZ occasionally too.

Welcome Rowie!

I don't think all the eggs were fertile, but those that were are all claimed by other zoos. They only have the one retic so someone would have had to lend the zoo one just to get the eggs they have now.

wylie88, I live in Kewarra Beach, on the mountain side backing on to the golf course! There's a 2+ metre python that lives around our house that allegedly ate the neighbour's cat. Been lucky enough to find one of its old shed skins. The shed measures to around 3m alone. Can't wait to see it in the flesh!
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/member/wylie88-34321/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back