Hi :D

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Melzey

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm Mel.

I have been stalking your threads for a while now and the other day I joined and started "liking" things... The next natural progression seems to be a hello post.. ;)

I'm in Newcastle and have ordered our first little snakey to join the family.. I was going to get one at SOFAR but in the course of my research, i found what i wanted for a good price, so, decided I have waited long enough ;). I have done alot of reading, have my license and click clack and I am getting a book with him.. I haven't even got the first one and I'm already thinking about what next, this is crazy addictive. Technically, the Stimson Python (Broome Locale) that we pick up tomorrow will be my daughters pet. A present from her Aunt and Nanny. She is almost 4 and she loves her Aunts snakes.. Of course she is too young to take complete responsibility for it so mummy and daddy are going to help a lot and obviously monitor her interaction with him. :)

im looking forward to chatting with those of you who are nice! (Yes I have been reading, lurk - lurk ;))

Soo, cool names?!? I have Stimpy (I thought this sounds better than Stimmy, so added the p), Basil and Snakespear... We are letting our little girl pick but any cool suggestions would be put to her. :)

Welcome Mel. Sounds like you are doing all the right things in preparing for your little one.

Thanks Guys! :D I love your Signature SniperCap, clever ;) Whats the little guy in your pic Firepac, brilliant color?

Hi Mel , Two great choices --Joining the thread instead of just lurking and the broome stimson . 5 years ago we did a similar thing with our daughter ( 11) but made her do the research and relay it to us as a learning tool ,when she could read the book and tell us enough about the care and responsbilities we set off and bought a little python for her . Now she has 1 snake and 1 lizard ,As do the rest of the family 4 of each And were looking foe number 5 when the funds allow .

Fluffy is a top name for a snake :D but your 4yr old may not understand the sarcasim .
good luck and enjoy and no matter how silly /weired or dumb the questions you need answered there is someone on here to fit the bill and give the right info :lol:

Very cool Firepac.. I think I’ll stay away from the venom for now ;)

Thanks Borntobenude. I have to admit, I have really wanted one too. We are really just using her birthday as an excuse ;) it’s crazy how comfortable she is with my sisters Bredli. It's about a year old, and she handles it really gently and confidently, show her a spider or a cockroach and she will scream the house down. haha.... So the next one will be for me ;) probably around this time next year.
Hehe, Fluffy is awesome, your right she would miss the sarcasm. ;)

[, and she handles it really gently and confidently, show her a spider or a cockroach and she will scream the house down. haha.... So [/QUOTE]

thats because she hasn't learnt to fear them yet !!! but probably see's mum or dad scream at cockroaches :D
Get her into ski ing and skydiving now and she will have a great life
And yes my brother and i always had lizards but mum would not allow us to keep snakes ,so as soon as our daughter asked it was a definate YES .

I like how you are doing this :) Research first before buying! I have seen so many people just jump in with no idea what they are doing.

Stimsons are great! I'm sure your little girl will love the little cutie! As for names, it clicks as soon as you see him/her....sometimes it takes a little longer.

I don't get why everyone is so scared spiders :( :lol:

Hi Sharky105,

Thanks Mate, i have done much research. :D i think its important to do that with any new addition to the household.. This is a long term thing for us so we need to make sure we really think about what we want our adoptive family member. I think sometimes people get caught up in the cute baby phase in any pet, but I want my daughter to learn a pet is a long term thing. She has been with me when I have been researching and we have talked a lot about it :)

I grew up in the bush, insects and cockroaches don’t bother me. I wont handle a spider, mainly because I have no clue when it comes to identifying them – if I knew it wasn’t venomous I might, they don’t really freak me out as such. Truth be told, I love to look at snakes I find them fascinating, so interesting. I have wanted one for years, but never got one because I haven’t ever been comfortable handling them – so that’s kind of a barrier ;). It’s going to be a bit learning curve for me, but im really excited about that and I have my hubby who is fine with it. I don’t even know what it is that holds me back with the littlies, I don’t think it’s a fear of being tagged (with a big one I would be worried about that, inexperience I guess).

Question, is there any way of knowing how their pattern and color will change as they grow. Im just interested?

Welcome Mel, I'm sure you will love your time here. :)
If you end up naming your Stimson Stimpy you'll have to get another one and call it Ren. :p

Hells yes Tobe, if it wasnt health related i could have one fat one and one skinny one ;)

Welcome mate!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum Mel I do like a reformed stalker:). As you have highlighted snakes are very addictive, it wont be long before you start dreaming of how you will be organising your dedicated reptile room. There are some great members on here and that have a wealth of experience so I am sure if you need anything answered you will be quids in.

Kindest regards

Endeavour

Welcome to the APS Family Mel :)
I was a little stalker on here too for a while before I joined! It's just great here :)
Em

Thanks Endeavour! :D im thinking i'm going to need a new house with an extra room soon ;)

Thanks Em and Ambush :D

there is lots of interesting stuff on here to read. i have been loving my stalking, but its better to get involved :D

Hi Sharky105,

Question, is there any way of knowing how their pattern and color will change as they grow. Im just interested?

Prety much by seeing the parents ,As we have learnt they all change differently and when you have two different looking parents it makes it more difficult/interesting

Prety much by seeing the parents ,As we have learnt they all change differently and when you have two different looking parents it makes it more difficult/interesting

Hmm, thanks. Cool. Sounds like it will be a surprise ;)

Welcome Mel! Great to hear you've done all your research and I can already see it, your daughter, another herp addict :D Yay!
Stimmies are a great snake and you wont be disappointed! :)
So what's next on the long list of 'snakes to buy'? :twisted::lol:
I started planning a reptile room before I got my first snake. Got it drawn all up with a multitude of enclosures haha! :twisted:
Oh and I was a lurker/stalker of this forum for 3 1/2 years! Haha :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back