Hi from odessa stud im Boo and im new

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OdessaStud

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
HI everyone thanks for the chance to be a member of a group such as this.My name is boo and i live in sth east qld with an assortment of animals,my passion is for my snakes and lizards and also my exotic rats and mice that are all home bred.Im a widow with 3 kids the eldest 21 and the youngest 7 and spend alot of time learning more about our wonderful snakes and reptiles.Its very hard to find information relating to australian species quickly on the net and to get a straight answer is also sometimes a mammoth effort.Sorry to yap on Im a little nervous and have a heap of questions i need answers to but i wont swamp the site my first night.Thanks for reading my bit
Boo

Hi Boo and welcome to the site. Don't be scared to start asking Q's, we're all bored and would love to help!

Yes welcome, you should find this place very helpful and entertaining, I'm only fairly new here too but I'm already addicted. As for questions, you'll find a lot of people here just love to share their opinions so fire away!

Thanks for the welcome ok here goes i have a eastern blue tounge lizard that I saved about 8weeks ago, well the other day she produced me with 8 babies,my question is,( im in queensland)and need to know it they are regarded as captive bred or not,and how much are they worth,by the way im not that interested in the money i cant believe i have babies sooooo cool, and what is the best way to raise these little dudes so they grow up to be big dudes.thanks again Boo

If that animal was taken from the wild, then legally it must be released and so must the babies. Generally speaking Blue Tongues are worth $25-50ea, but keep in mind the fines for selling (or being in possesion of) wild caught animals are thousand's of dollars. Sorry if i'm incorrect in presuming this is a wild Blue Tongue we're talking about.

I assume she was once wild but shes been captive for along time now and could never survive on her own especially with only 3 legs.Im trying to avoid any trouble hence why i posted my question.
Boo

Hi Boo and welcome to APS. I am sure you will like it here!

I have a three-legged lizzard also!

As Mr Bredli says it must be released. (I think you would be supprised about how well it would do with only three legs!) Perhaps you could give it to a vet, explain that she has been in captivity for some time and perhaps if indeed her survival is unlikly she may end up in a zoo or something....

It might be worth mentioning that she is in QLD. Are the rules the same there?

i have a eastern blue tounge lizard that I saved about 8weeks ago
I assume she was once wild but shes been captive for along time now and could never survive on her own especially with only 3 legs
From where/what did you save it 8 weeks ago?

And I've seen wild bluetongues with only three legs, they cope quite well.

:p

Hix

I have seen them with a couple of stumps and the still survive. The introduced snail is a wonderous thing for the Tiliqua genus.

I suggest you contact the licensing authority in your state. they will give you all the relevant details you need. Im sure someone will have a link for you to follow??????

Hi Boo, and once again welcome. Its great you posted your question coz i always wondered what would happen if someone kept something they found in the wild. Like, the people that go herping must find some amazing snakes n lizards and would be SOOO tempted to keep them, but, what would happen then?

So yeah, welcome n thanks :D

If this blue tongue was taken from the wild to be 'saved' and has no legal paperwork, your hands are tied. It, and the subsequent offspring, will have to be released back to the wild, preferably to the same place it was 'saved' from.

If it genuinely can't care for itself, then you will need to find an EPA registered carer to take the blue tongue and the babies will still need to be released.

Here is a page on the EPA website that you may find of assistance.

http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/nature_co..._for_wildlife/carers_kit/caring_for_wildlife/

And excerpts from this page: http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/nature_co...aring_for_wildlife/sick_injured_and_orphaned/
Caring for the animal
Never attempt to care for the animal yourself unless you are knowledgeable about the kind of care required. In any case, you need a permit from the Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service to keep and care for native animals which are sick, injured or unable to fend for themselves. A Code of practice for wildlife carers applies.

If you are keen to become involved in wildlife care, contact your nearest organisation and find out how to provide the right care.

Permit required
Rescue permits can be issued to people who are capable of rehabilitating protected animals.

Anyone caring for native animals has to be prepared to keep human contact to a minimum so the animal stays independent and does not lose the ability to fend for itself when re-introduced to the wild. Releasing the animal back into its natural environment should always be your goal and is a requirement under the Act.

Thanks for your help and answers have been in touch with epa and have been advised that because the bluey came from Vic and permits arent needed a stat dec stating this and a movement advise is all i require so i have handed her over to a friend who has all the permits required and will be getting the stat dec done asap.He is able to sell them so if anyone is interested let me know.

Sounds a bit dodgy, I think I shall get all my herps from Vic in future... Anyone got anything nice running round the backyard?

Still, as long as you have a date and name for the convo to back yourself up, it's all good. :)

Hey Boo.

It can sometimes be hard to get a straight answer on here too. Just try asking how often you should feed your pythons! Always makes for amusing reading.

Goodluck with your little three-legged bluey. Let us know how she goes. It's astonishing what they can get by without. I have a jungle python who may need to have her tounge removed and my vet has said that she'll be just fine in captivity.

Anyway, welcome!

Cheers, Lily

Hi Lily thanks for the welcome.Im going to learn to be more diplomatic and watch from the side.Hope your python is fine they are amazingly adaptable.
Regards Karyn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back