Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GTsteve

Reaction score
If my wife gets her way it will stay that way too...

Hi I'm Steve

I have always loved snakes & would love one as a pet for the family. I know that I don't know nearly enough about them to look after one yet so I figured signing onto a site such as this would be a great way to start my education process. There is a family 2 houses down from me that have numerous snakes including 2 absolutely enormous ones. Ever since the big ones escaped (only the female who was pregnant at the time was ever found) & I was shown a photo taken by someone driving down my street of the monster on my lawn I have wanted one of my own.

I would love some guidance from people in the know about what kind of snake is a good snake to start with (My wife is not too keen on the idea & I have 2 small children to consider) as well as anything else someone just starting off should know. I love the look of the Bredli? & Green Tree Pythons but I have no idea about the nature of these snakes.

Anyway, I'll start at the start and sift though the forums for answers before I ask too many Noobee questions; see you all around the interwebs...

Steve

Hey! Welcome!
We're a *usualy* friendly bunch and will help you as much as you want!

Welcome to APS Steve :)

Bredli's are a fantastic starter snake, as with everything there are all kinds of personalities. Most are usually very placid though.
I wouldn't recommend a GTP as a first snake as they are more of an advanced species.

Use the search feature up above and type in "new snake" and nearly everything you want to know are in the threads which pop up. Don't sift manually through the pages as some of the best info have been given 2-3 years ago in old threads.

After you know what you need as a basic setup, it's all about the snake you want, the stereotyped temperament of some species and their size in which they grow to.

All the best.

If my wife gets her way it will stay that way too...

Hi I'm Steve

I have always loved snakes & would love one as a pet for the family. I know that I don't know nearly enough about them to look after one yet so I figured signing onto a site such as this would be a great way to start my education process. There is a family 2 houses down from me that have numerous snakes including 2 absolutely enormous ones. Ever since the big ones escaped (only the female who was pregnant at the time was ever found) & I was shown a photo taken by someone driving down my street of the monster on my lawn I have wanted one of my own.

I would love some guidance from people in the know about what kind of snake is a good snake to start with (My wife is not too keen on the idea & I have 2 small children to consider) as well as anything else someone just starting off should know. I love the look of the Bredli? & Green Tree Pythons but I have no idea about the nature of these snakes.

Anyway, I'll start at the start and sift though the forums for answers before I ask too many Noobee questions; see you all around the interwebs...

Steve

hi steve if you have any questions feel free to ask im mostly in aps chat btw im the annoying guy on aps :p oh and the thing about the gtp (green tree python) is you will need a fair bit of spare cash for one of them and there for more expericened people to.
Snakes to consider:

• coastal carpet python
  • diamond python
  • spotted pythons
  • bredli
(ect, ect,ect) lol
have a good time

go the bredli (centralian) they are one of my favorites gtp are usually very expensive 3k + for hatchlings. and they are a harder to care for.

as far as you wifes aversion to snakes theres actually a sticky thread on convinceing ones parents to let you get a snake im sure with a bit of modification you could use all the same arguments. and as far as kids go proper education and handling tenchinques and supervison will prevent any harm to the snake....and children :p

Gday Steve, hopefully the MRS changes her mind and lets you get a python, I would definatly get a Bredli, they are an easy species to look after, cheap and very placid, I bought one as my first snake so Im talking from experience!! I had the same drama with my MRS concerning pythons, she didnt like the idea at 1st but ended up paying for mine and now Im allowed another Bredli and a spotted oe stimson, still gotta convince her to let me get a Black Headed Python or I may become single ;) Good luck!!
Baxter

wife

hi mate i also have a boss/finance controller/ and she also said i was to have no snakes, i now have 10 pythons a turtle and 4 dragons and her faviourite is seth my MASSIVE olive. persistance mate, she will end up loving it especially if ya get a bredili

Hi welcome to APS!

I joined before I got Snakey and learnt so much. My parents were dead-set against me getting a python but I stuck to my guns and kept open the lines of communication. Eventually, I came home with my very placid python. At the time, he was little hatchie and non-threatening looking (he's much bigger now and they are getting use to him.)

As far as types of pythons I chose a Murray Darling Carpet Python (Morelia spilota metcalfei), due to their reported placid nature and hardiness. Mine is 'dog tame' and so easy to handle, he also loves his food...no feeding problems here! But if you dont like a predominately black patterned, soft grey and red-brown python, I think the Bredli (Centralian Carpet) would be a good first python.

Dont be afraid to ask questions and keep on hoping! :D

welcome

hey gt steve thought you might like this

Attachments

• P4162487-1.jpg
    P4162487-1.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 160
Hi Steve,

Welcome to the forum. You will learn heaps on here and get a lot of info that you can't find it books.

Hope you manage to change the mind of the Mrs. Snakes are great pets and if treated with respect can be a safe pet as well. My 3 year old nephew regularly holds my Children's python and she's only bitten me once and that was my own fault. In my experience Bredli's can be a bit nippy to start with but I've been told they settle right down and become very placid snakes as they get older. Anyway, being bitten by a small snake is nothing and you can barely feel it. Paper cuts are much worse IMO.

Just a thought for you, my 2 yr old son plays with our 1yr old Black Head Python (bought off a member of this site), and our 8 & 10 yr olds play with almost yearling Bredli. Our BHP hisses and huffs sometimes, but they are mostly bluff.

Some Bredli hatchlings can be a bit snappy, but if they do give you a love tap you will be lucky to even realise you've been given one- it's more a pushing sensation and you eventually find a speck of blood to tell you it happened!!! I am told that as they age they calm down, but I think it is more to do with how much handling they get, and the calmer the person holding them, the calmer they become!!!

Bredli also like to CLIMB, so don't be afraid to design a cage and then ask as many people as you can about what you have planned. Also when you have picked your snake, then you need to select your Breeder for purchase. Unfortunately there are some out there who are not as honest as they could be, so be careful. There is a section here for positive feedback about the different sellers/breeders. If you chose to purchase off someone like Southerncross Reptiles don't be afraid to pick Diane & Simon's brain for information, as Simon is Doc Rock in the Reptile Magazines... And with their experience they do know a fair bit. Also I have heard a lot of positive feedback about Snake Ranch. Also be careful with the advice you receive from people... I have been warned about mis-leading advice, and have seen someone else loose a reptile from being told false information.

Now that you have all this to read, and also the advice from others, we will let you take it all in!!! Lol.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Nice pick up Horto - I love it! (though the GT I drive is a Hypo Forester)

Great news - I turn 30 in November & my wife reckons if I still want one then its mine! Awesome so now I just need to convince her that I was born much earlier than my birthdate but the hard work has been done.

I've been reading and learning heaps on here so far, this place really is a wealth of knowlege. My mother in law came up with a good idea (seriously!) and suggested that I ask the neighbours if I can help with theirs to see whats involved. Assuming they say yes I think that will be a great way to learn.

One thing I have noticed here though - why does everyone get so excited about some snakes? Like the ones that seem to be crossbreeds of some sort? The colouring on some of them is absolutely incredible but people are flamin' & hatin' at them left, right & centre. As someone on the outside looking in I have to say they are very tempting but it seems there is some stigma attached to them?

Thanks again guys,

Steve

Oh yeah I also have been reading threads with people debating the merits of starting with either an adult snake that is already a good feeder/handler or starting with a hatchy.

I think I have narrowed it down to a hatchy to kick me off. My reasoning is even the tamest adult snake could have a bad day. If a big one bit me I would get a hell of a fright whereas the little ones might pinch a bit (& often) but won't make me nervous. Hopefully that will get me used to not freaking out and pulling away like my instincts would tell me too. I can't stand the thought of injuring a snake due to my ignorance.

Cheers

Welcome!
Long story short, hyrids are the interbreeding of two subspecies of python with human intervention ie. coastal x jungle, and an intergrade is a naturally occuring hybrid (more or less)
Many people are against hybridising snake for a few reasons...
It is illegal in some states and the animals bloodline is no longer pure. This can be an issue if the animal is then used for breeding, or if it looks very much like a nonhybrid, and is then sold to an unsuspecting buyer believing they have a pure bred animal.

There are more and deeper reasons, but that is the gist of it.

The misses will come round. If all else fails just buy one. Thats what I normally do. For a first snake I would recomend spotted or coastal or something similar. I have heard that bredlis are great first snakes but I've never owned one. I think definately start with a hatchy. As the snake grows your confidence will grow too. Whatever you get just make sure you research that species. Different snakes have different requirements such as enclosure sizes. When you get one make sure you let us know and post some pics. All the best mate.

I wanted a snake, and it took a lot of convincing my fiance before he finally let me get my Bredli girl. He didn't even like my beardies, but I got my snake and added some green tree frogs too.

I am still working on plans to increase my snakey family, but I got told no more animals. But I'm not giving up, my little girl will need a man in the next year or 2, so he'll have to come around eventually.

The one thing I found is to try and get them involved with the animals. My fiance wouldn't touch any of my animals but finally held snakey for the first time on his own, he didn't say anything but I think he secretely like it.

Know how that feels but the other way around. Hubby doesnt want anymore.

Highly recomend the book Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons by Mike Swan (available online through Mike Swan Herp Books or Herp shop... I think)
Must have book for anyone who keeps pythons IMO.
Good luck with choosing just 1................;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back