Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok bumping this back up

It seems that I am going to be picking up a snake this weekend! Its a small Childrens Python according to the people that have it although they know even less than me about snakes. It comes with an enclosure & all heaters, hides etc. Best of all its free on the proviso that if the owner ever comes back I return it but no one has seen him for over 6 months (Long story I'll explain later) so its a soft intro to keeping snakes.

Anyway I didn't want to just share my good fortune; I have what I think is a simple question about transporting snakes. Is my car okay to transport the snake with?

My car is fairly loud, not crazy rice burner fartinacan type loud but it's a Subaru Forester GT with all the bells & whistles and a free flowing exhaust so it does have quite a thump to the exhaust note. Will this be okay to collect the snake from Nerang and bring back to the bayside in without stressing it too much? I know they are super sensitive to vibration etc and I don't want to freak him out for our first introduction.

Any advice to do with transportation of snakes would be awesome!

Cheers in advance

Steve

put the little guy in an inside out pillowcase and tie it up nice and tight so there is no chance of escaption!! lol not really a word but anyhoozlebee.... then put that inside a clickclack and TADA! you have a mobile snake. lol. it can be a bit bumpy and he might get a little stressed, but he will then settle into his nice new house and be fine (unless he's like my childrens python, then he will be the SPAWN OF SATAN!!!!)

good luck with the little guy. post some pics when you get him!!

Just interested in how you're going to fullfill the licencing requirements if you can't locate the current owner? Have you been in touch with the EPA?

Sorry, late night @ work. Can you explain the issue with the missing owner? I want to do this properly and have downloaded various forms today from the EPA website I just haven't had a chance to read through them yet. Can I assume I need to show who I received the animal from & provide their licence number or something along those lines?

Ahhhh!!!

Pg 8 of Captive Reptile and Amphibian Husbandry Code of Practice.

•​
[FONT=Arial,Arial]Herpetofauna must not be sold or given to any person who does not have the appropriate licence or the appropriate skills necessary for the proper care of that animal. It is also illegal to buy or accept wildlife from another person who is not lawfully keeping the animal.

• It is illegal to sell and give away, or buy and accept a protected animal if the animal shows signs of illness or injury, without the written approval of the chief executive. A reptile that has a parasitic infection will ordinarily show signs of illness.

Thanks for the heads up. I guess I'd better make at least a phone call first before I just pay the money for the licence or I might be wasting it!

[/FONT]

Sorry, late night @ work. Can you explain the issue with the missing owner? I want to do this properly and have downloaded various forms today from the EPA website I just haven't had a chance to read through them yet. Can I assume I need to show who I received the animal from & provide their licence number or something along those lines?

Hi and welcome Steve. You will need to fill out an application for a reptile license before purchasing (or simply acquiring) your snake. You're pretty much right, when acquiring your snake you will need details from the owner and will have to fill those out on a log book which you receive with your license.

No not yet. I had no intention of keeping a snake just yet and so hadn't applied. I got a call from a mate around lunch time today who knows I have been looking into keeping snakes. The conversation went something like this:

Him: Did you say you wanted a snake?
Me: Yes
Him: What about a Childrens Python?
Me: I was thinking about something that will grow bigger
Him: What if it was free & it came with the enclosure & heat lamps and everything?
Me: Keep talking
Him: (My Sister's) boyfriend left a snake & a complete set up here about 6 months back & no one knows where he's gone or if he's coming back & Mum is spewing & told me to just let it go. I remembered you wanted one & told her I'd ask you if you wanted it.
Me: Well hell yeah M************** I want it, I'll swap you that exhaust you want for it.
Him: Sweet bro when can you come get it Mum wants it gone yesterday.
Me: ***** bro I don't know I just arranged for a dirty weekend cause we got rid of the kids to Hayley's Mum's place. What about Sunday?
Him: Yeah sweet call me when you are on your way down
Me: No problem, later bro
Him: Later

*Me: gets off phone, panics, thinks about licencing requirements, gets on EPA website & downloads schedule of fees, guidelines, application form, get a call from work saying I have an appointment & leaves for work, gets home 15 minutes before I posted my first reply.

I tried to call him to ask him who's been feeding it & on what etc between this afternoon & tonights appointments but he was already at work (@ a hospital) so his phone just rang out. If eberything was left there hopefully the record books would be there too but I can't honestly say for sure.

LOL S##t reading that was like I was in the conversation lol
Well egt the application into EPA they are pretty fast these days granting rec licences.
Good lucky with it mate

LOL I thought it would be easier to repeat the conversation than to try to explain as I'm not entirely sure of the circumstances surrounding the dudes disappearence! Is there a place to take the form into to get it processed quicker or is it a case of post it and wait?

I normally take all my stuff into the nearest EPA office in your area for me I go to Toowoomba office they do it that day then.

Oh yer i forgot to say..Welcome to the reptile community.... nice to see you convinced your wife to let you get a snake..

And with your kids they will love the snake and the many more to come once you get your first... my children love them and handle them all the time and there friends come over for show and tell and handle lol

I just applied online for the licence and it has been sent to my email address along with the receipt apparently. I'll go check, it's on my other computer.....

Yep it was there. I have a licence/licence number already - they really are quick!

The records book is being posted out to me. Theoretically now I just need to find out the missing dudes licence number & I'm all legal & above board yes?

The dude needs to sign the movement advise as the seller...That may be a problem since no one can find him though.

Bugger! Nothings ever easy is it LOL. I'll suss out some more details before I do anything else I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back