Hi!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinoboy123

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm Izak, and I am ten. I am also a huge fossil-nut, and I have a question. Are there any Australian cave-dwelling snakes within the time of 2 million years to recent? If you want to know why I am asking, just ask.. Glad to be here!

Izak

By the way, if the post is in the wrong place, forgive me :p

Last edited:
Welcome Izak,

There is a recent species of blind snake that they think is a total cave-dweller but there is little known about it (according to Wilson and swan), so good luck with info. Try searching up ramphotyphlops longissumus and see what it comes up with!

Just curious, do you own any reptiles?

Bredli

Wow thanks for the quick reply! And thanks for the info, it really helps :) I have a 2 and a half year old blotched blue tongue.

Izak

And do people do IDs on here? I'll still post on The Fossil Forum BUT you guys are the herp experts I guess. Even knowing if it is a snake tooth.. can you post pictures on here? Oh yeah forgot to mention I am asking because I found a strange tiny tooth in a mammal rich cave deposit. If more info helps i'll give more info. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Hello Isak,

You haven't mentioned where you are from so I can only presume your some where in Australia.

First off if your trying to id the find as a snake from a small tooth I doubt very much it would belong to a member of the Blind Snakes (Ramphotyphlops).

To answer your question and assuming your asking about Australian snake fossils; a fossil of a giant snake dated back to between 2 million and 11,500 years ago and believed to be a member of the Madtsoidae group of snakes (Boas & pythons) was discovered in a cave in North Qld a few years back (2012 from memory).

These were large snakes of between 7 and 10 metres, so one could assume that they would have had some descent sized teeth.

Google Matdsoiids and see what you come up with.

Hope this helps.

All the best,

George.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back