Hi...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stylusmobilus

Reaction score
...nice to be here! We are looking after my daughters partners Green Tree Python atm, and I’m kinda getting a bit hooked. I thought it would be a good idea to join a forum on snakes to ask questions if I need to. So far, everything seems to be going well, the snake exercises well at night when the lights are out, we think we are keeping the temperature, humidity and light at a good balance. It’s not aggressive at all, I’ve been asked by the owner to regularly handle it but I admit I’ve been a bit reluctant as it seems to me it doesn’t want to be handled. It is in a very good enclosure and has heating lights, temp gauge/thermostat and plenty of places to climb, hang out and hide under.

By all means, any experienced owners of these snakes please offer tips, and ask questions about what we’re doing. We want to make sure that until the snake gets to it’s permanent home it is as healthy and happy as it can be, plus as I said I’m kinda liking this. Thank you!

We are looking after my daughters partners Green Tree Python atm
Not sure if it applies to your state (though i'll assume it does) but do you have a license for a green tree python? even if temporarily somebody in the house has to, as far as i'm aware. GTPS aren't well known for liking being handled, either.

send some pics of the bugger btw, always nice to see some GTPS. :)

Gtp shouldnt be "freehandled" it can cause kinks in their body but keeping them on a piece of tube or branch is fine

No, we don’t...he really had no option but to leave it with us. It’s only for a couple of weeks but yeah I was guessing something along those lines. AFAIK he has a licence.
[doublepost=1549784705,1549784657][/doublepost]I tried but the file is too big, hang on
[doublepost=1549790991][/doublepost]
FD29F527-8786-484C-8618-621E52EFB917.jpeg
FD29F527-8786-484C-8618-621E52EFB917.jpeg

[doublepost=1549794917][/doublepost]It’s feeding time, so I’ll get a couple more in a minute or two
[doublepost=1549797069][/doublepost]
B85E79D1-2DF9-49FC-89B5-EBC05323D1D7.jpeg

[doublepost=1549797106][/doublepost]
E5C26845-C407-4B51-A7C6-152C70A4BE49.jpeg

Gtp shouldnt be "freehandled" it can cause kinks in their body but keeping them on a piece of tube or branch is fine

How many have you kept?
[doublepost=1549812888,1549812614][/doublepost]Nice looking Chondro! Get yourself nice and hooked, you won't regret it! :)

I don't go out of my way to handle my Chondros (I don't really handle any of my snakes much) but they almost all handle very well. I don't really think regular handling is important in having calm snakes and I believe this is a very misunderstood area.

It's cool that your Chondro (or the one you're looking after) is a good feeder like that. I'd personally definitely be giving it larger feeds, but however you're doing it is your choice. It definitely looks healthy.

Chondros are slightly less tolerant of environmental issues than most other pythons and come with a couple of extra issues, so if you want to get your first snakes you may want to consider another species, but snakes are definitely very cool pets :) Welcome to the forum and the world of snakes :)

5FD428AF-6617-43A6-AB74-E2FA8D6D3BCE.jpeg
Hi Sdaji, yes, he/she is very beautiful. We’re looking after it at the moment and yes we are getting hooked. The owner has recommended those size rats every 6-10 days so that’s what I’m sticking to.

Yep, for my first I’m considering a Stimson or Children’s python. I love the Stimmos.

My concern with handling is not being tagged...it’s inexperience. I really don’t want to stress or hurt the snake, but the owner would like regular handling to keep the snake used to it. Personally I’m happy to leave it alone, and just make sure he/she is getting enough exercise.

Here is a pic I took today after cleaning out the pen...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back