Hides - cool end or warm end??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RichB

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a stimson (our first snake). Could anyone please give me their views on whether to have my hide at the cool end (near the vents and water bowl) or at the warm end where my spot light is and a basking rock?

cheers
Rich

I'd put in the cool end. Let your little stimson go searching for the heat when it needs it and retreat to the hide when it doesn't.

As whatsup said,
Put hides in both ends, all my pythons have a hide at each end and use both of them.

Depends how old it is. If its young and in a click clack, put them in both ends, so that the snake doesn't have to choose between hiding and being vulnerable, and in the cool end for older snakes. This way, they don't become recluses. Well, that's my theory anyway.

Thanks all! As simple as it sounds I'd not thought of having two! Until I get a second I will put in the cooler end.

thanks again.

Thanks all! As simple as it sounds I'd not thought of having two! Until I get a second I will put in the cooler end.

thanks again.

A small cardboard box( jelly crystal or variety cereal) or toilet roll works fine.

just get a toilet roll and squish one side down

i have 3 hides 1 in the hot end 1 in the cold and a paper towel roll that goes from the hot to the cold

1 in each end mate

The reasoning behind it is, a young snake may prefer to feel secure, than to regulate its temp, so you may find it is hiding at the expense of staying warm (or cool). Definitely a hide at each end - the smaller the better. Your snake should just be able to squeeze into it.

i provide 1 at each end for the first 18 months
then just 1 in the cool end after that...

As other people have said as youngsters they need to feel safe aswell as regulating their temps, but as older snakes i prefer to encourage them to come out to bask.... and they all do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back