High yellows? Really?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Norm

Is it just me or has the label "high yellow diamond" become too loosely used? Quite a lot of snakes that people refer to as high yellow to me are just nice standard coloured diamonds.
Feel free to tell me I'm wrong if I am.

Last edited by a moderator:
I fully agree norm. But its the same for all classes. I don't want to start an argument but I hate the use of het etc.

I'm hoping to name the new yellow diamonds banana. Because of the yellow. That should prevent miss use. Lol.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I think using het it valid as people want to know it holds a recessive gene.

Sorry I should have been clearer.

I'm not a fan on the percentage use for her. I understand why just not a fan.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I agree, Blinky, I see an add selling a high yellow diamond and I have a look and a lot of the time I'm disappointed because its no better than anything I have. And I certainly don't class anything I have as high yellow, though I would love even just one genuine high yellow...and a B & W!

hahahaha.........good onya Norm. Must be an Intergrade if it aint high Yellow. LOL

So , that one i showed you that doesnt have any yellow on it - what do i call that ??? Is it a High White ????? High Black ??????.......nah ! must be an Intergrade. LOL

There is a lot of people with standard reptiles hoping to move them on with marketing strategies like these, or just hoping they have something a little more interesting in their collections and if questioned of the validity of their claims either admit it was the previous seller that told them this info or get very defensive they have what they claim. In the new world of line breeding in Aussie reptiles this is the way new keepers are thinking..

Because no one want 'boring' wild types anymore. Although a lot of people tend to own wild types with a spin doctor name. A lot of high yellows aren't high yellow, hypos aren't hypo, rp aren't all that rp, etc.
There is a petshop near where I live that I while ago were selling yellow faced snowflake beardies. Lol.

And recently someone posted on fb about their het jag. It was a sib that was apparently het for jag. Haha.

G'day All
my two males I think make a good example of high yellow and B & W. hope you agree

Attachments

• DSC_0412.jpg
    DSC_0412.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 169
  • DSC_0066.jpg
    DSC_0066.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 169
That "Yellow" 1 you have pictured is almost identical to the 1 Bart70 removed from his neighbours place a few months ago, if anything the 1 Bart70 removed was even more yellow, but being from Port Macquarie it would have to be a "high yellow" Intergrade wouldn't it, not a very good selling name now is it. not that he sold it, relocated of course, beautiful Diamonds BTW :) .................................Ron

Last edited:
It is all relative. I get it all the time with buyers wanting BULK prices. When you ask what Bulk is they say 5 packets. To me bulk is more like 105 packets. Cheap is another word that gets used fairly losely. I guess advertisers use whatever they can to gain what they consider is an advantage, but they often end up leaving the buyer dissappointed.
catch you later - I am off to deliver some more CHEAP rats. lol

G'day All
my two males I think make a good example of high yellow and B & W. hope you agree

I know it can be difficult with photos, often the true colours don't show or the pic can be manipulated to give the desired effect but to me that yellow one is a true "high yellow". When you look at that snake the predominant colour you see is yellow, not black with small yellow tipping and white rosettes, which to me is a standard diamond python.

What used to be a high yellow diamond was one where the yellow predominated over the black in the normal diamond range ,black and white was the black type in the natural range where the rossettes were cream or whitish.
These days of internet selling etc its pretty much anything fits.

I guess the answer to that would be no. There will always be the element of personal opinion. I'm only talking about diamonds here, for me, as I said earlier the major colour you see should be yellow when looking at a high yellow diamond. Not so much maybe the brightness but rather the amount of yellow. Of course brightness would also have an effect on how yellow it looks.

Pinstripe is the same in BHP's or woma's . It is a relative and no there is no median measure and that is why a lot of people class some animals that the majority of people would class as normal as high yellow or black and white or pinstripe.

Also high red in BHP. A lot of pretty but normal qld animals get classed as high red. I guess a lot of these are subjective and I guess at the end of the day people buy the animals that appeal to them no matter what the label.

Also high red in BHP. A lot of pretty but normal qld animals get classed as high red. I guess a lot of these are subjective and I guess at the end of the day people buy the animals that appeal to them no matter what the label.
Most people do but there are still some people will buy a trait rather than what they like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back