Home made enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

davidfbarnes

Reaction score
Hey,

Just thought I would show you all how my enclosure is coming along. It's being built for the arrival of my first snake, a hatchling Bredli.

The enclosure is 600x600x600 and has a hide shelf at the bottom.

Not entirely happy with the background, but it happens!!

I'm fairly happy overall at the moment as it is the first thing I have ever built... In fact I didn't even own a saw or hammer before I started!

Let me know what you think.

Just normal grout, I have done 4 layers so far, will probably do one more...... anyone know if I should "seal" the grout with anything?

its looking good so far dave, what about the background that your not happy with, Personally i see that theres alot of small gaps and nooks which could be filled in to give a more realistic look.

Is the platform supported structureally with wire or something alike?

Before you apply any paint, I have found that light sanding of the edges results is a much more realistic look.

Keep us posted on the process

If I paint the inside will it seal it? If so what sort of paint should I use.... I wasn't even thinking of sanding it.

I am thinking I may fill in all the gaps, but it really is a pain to do at this stage... not the easiest thing to do... I guess I will know for next time!

Note to self... Foam in a can expands a hell of a lot more than you would think!

There is no wire supporting the ledge, just a lot of foam in a can and styrofoam!

want where you thinking of painting it with?

May i suggest you paint it with oxide powder mixed with diluted boncrete, it works really well and better than any other paint. Drys rock hard aswell

I recogn that you should fill the back ground gaps in, and smoothen it out a little so that its doesnt have that coral look to it, it'll will be worth it I know its a pain, but if your gona keep your pythons in there for years that extra few hours of work will be worth it
Check out my post, ive been working on trying to make backgrounds aswell
http://www.aussiepythons.com/index....&t=16197&sid=720e4d266f906abf8794909cb4d4a73c

you could fill the gaps more easily if you lay it on its back?

Thans for the comments deathinfire, most appreciated......

Jungle mad.... you are a genious! I actually wouldn't have thought of that!

yeah no worries just make sure you keep us posted with pictures on your progess :)

I'll be working on my tanks tomorrow and will try and post some updated pics of them in my topic

oh yeah it would of been alot easier if you left the top of, when you were making the background, if you can take it off now and put it back on, it'll make life alot easier for you :)

Well done mate, it's coming up great. Post more pics when finish so we can admire your handywork.

Thanks for sharing this with us David.

looking good so far, but you have to allow yourself a blend of aestetics and ease of cleaning...
the smoother the better, bacteria can hide in the little nooks and crannies.

and smells... they linger if you cant clean up properly.

keep up the good work.

Now realise that I should have left the top off, but oh well!

I will keep you posted with pics, I will put another layer on to try and smooth it ove, thanks for the encouragement.

...... watch this space.

A agree it is looking great and I think your little guy will love it in there until he grows out of it which I am guessing will take a couple of years.

One difficulty with an enclosure like this with the nooks and cranies is cleaning it.

I also have a few reservations about the strength of the polystyrene. You might want to test the platform areas with say a weight of a couple of kg's (eg a filled juice bottle). Your snake won't weight that much for a while but it won't take long before he/she could excert that much preasure.

Seriously think about giving it a go. I know it is said a lot, but if I can do it... anyone can. I didn't own any tools before I started (which made it a little expensive) so therefore had no experience with any tools, and overall I'm happy with the woodworking side of things.

Herptrader, I will give the ledge the juice bottle test, thanks for the tip. It is fairly strong as there is a lot of canned foam and styrofoam as well as very thick grout, but I don't know about it holding 2 kilos, so thanks for the heads up.

Hey David, it looks awsome and for your 1st attempt you've done an exellent job :D

Great work there David, no prob with a snake in that on I would say. You are encouraging me to get off my bum and have ago myself.

Keep up the good work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back