Homemade Vegie Mixes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bomber

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys

Made my own vegie mixes for my reptiles today. They all containing a good balance of Greens, Fruits and of course Vegies. Let me know what you guys think? would love feedback :)

Attachments

• All3mixes.jpg
    All3mixes.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 124
  • blueymix.jpg
    blueymix.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 110
  • Beardymix.jpg
    Beardymix.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 123
  • watermix.jpg
    watermix.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 102
Beardy Mix

2 Grated Apples
2 Grated Carrots
3 Soup spoonfuls of baby peas
10-20 Dandeline heads

Use whatever quantity you want but that is how much I used.

i'll take some of number one and number three thanks lol

Beardy Mix

2 Grated Apples
2 Grated Carrots
3 Soup spoonfuls of baby peas
10-20 Dandeline heads

Use whatever quantity you want but that is how much I used.

I will also let LizardLady take over now she is here......but i will pre warn you, they are not the best ingrediants. (for the beardies at least, im not sure about the others)

Okay, first things first - kudos to you Bomber, for going to such great lengths to keep your masters happy and healthy! :) It certainly looks yummy!

Right, now for the "review"... From what I can see, there's quite a bit of banana in the mix - "High phosphorous, feed RARELY"... Ditch the banana, and only offer it once in a blue moon (they love the stuff, but won't miss what they don't get!)... Peas (raw) - simply, feed "RARELY"... I'm guessing that's carrot, not sweet-potato? If carrot - "High vitamin A (150 IU/g), moderate oxalates, feed OCCASIONALLY"...

If you could include a list of your ingredients, I'll tell you what's in them! :)

I would also be happy to email you a comprehensive list of stuff, and a Care Sheet, if you're interested? Just PM me with your email addy, and thy will be done! :p

Hope this helps! (and up to your standard Mad_At_Arms?! :p )

Best,
Carolyn

Doh! If I'd only been patient, I would've got what I asked for WITHOUT asking for it! *shakes head at self*!

Apples - Feed "OCCASIONALLY"
Carrot - Already covered that one
Peas - Already covered that one
Dandelion Heads - Should be using the greens, not the heads...

I use Endive, Watercress, Parsley, Bok Choy, Sweet Potato, Yellow Squash, Butternut Pumpkin, Parsnip, small amount of Red Capsicum... This is my "staple" salad mix - sometimes I add Snow Pea Shoots, Green Beans (occasionally, not often), Hibiscus leaves, occasional treat of Mango, Nasturtiums (flowers and leaves - this is the "adult" plant of Watercress), and, the BEST OF ALL - SILKWORMS! :)

Hope this helps now!

Best,
Carolyn

She's here!!!!!

Hehehe, i do pop in occasionally! :p

Carolyn you got your **** down pat and a fair review too, thank you for that :D I'll be contacting you when I make another batch using a few of the things you have listed. This was my frist crack at one and my second crack will be better. I'll inbox you my email addy and what I have used.

Thanks Again
Dan

Hehehe, i do pop in occasionally! :p

While you are here.....now that muppet is over his pms ;), im curious to know how his growth rate is looking....... in the last 2wks he was gone from 18.5grams to 32.7.......:shock: yes, he is a GUTS! He is eating close to a cup of vegies/greens etc daily, (the list i already went over with you) plus woodies & crickets (anywhere from 10-30 daily) He has doubled in length, he isnt just fat :p but is he getting big too quick?

Anyone else with 2mnth old beardies......how much do they weigh?

Sorry to cut in Bomber.....you will get a great list once Carolyn has your details! She is a big help for new mums & dads ;)

Carolyn you got your **** down pat and a fair review too, thank you for that :D I'll be contacting you when I make another batch using a few of the things you have listed. This was my frist crack at one and my second crack will be better. I'll inbox you my email addy and what I have used.

Thanks Again
Dan

No worries at all Dan, happy to help! :) Oh, and email sent! :p

While you are here.....now that muppet is over his pms ;), im curious to know how his growth rate is looking....... in the last 2wks he was gone from 18.5grams to 32.7.......:shock: yes, he is a GUTS! He is eating close to a cup of vegies/greens etc daily, (the list i already went over with you) plus woodies & crickets (anywhere from 10-30 daily) He has doubled in length, he isnt just fat :p but is he getting big too quick?

Sorry to cut in Bomber.....you will get a great list once Carolyn has your details! She is a big help for new mums & dads ;)

WOW! He IS a piggy, isn't he?! lol As long as you're still keeping up with the Calcium daily, he'll be okay - he needs to keep up the strength in his bones, teeth etc to cope with the "spurt", otherwise you may run into some problems down the track... Generally, he'll only eat what he "needs" to, so just let him have what he wants (as you have been!), keep the Calcium up to him, should be okay!

Hope this helps?

Oh, and thank you for the kind words! :)

All the best,
Carolyn

Last edited by a moderator:

Quite forgiven Bel ;) and yes I trust Carolyn's list will be fantastic and truly helpful, so far i'm convinced :)

I just give credit where credit is due! So thank you! Yep, still doing all that i explained to you previously, & i have checked that he isnt just eating himself sick by changing the amount i supply. If i only put half a cup in, its all gone, if i add the full cup, he leaves a little bit......so im guessing he is def just eating what he needs.....he is growing so so so fast! Thank you for the reassurance....again!

I use Endive, Watercress, Parsley, Bok Choy, Sweet Potato, Yellow Squash, Butternut Pumpkin, Parsnip, small amount of Red Capsicum... This is my "staple" salad mix Nasturtiums (flowers and leaves - this is the "adult" plant of Watercress), and, the BEST OF ALL - SILKWORMS! :)

Hope this helps now!

Best,
Carolyn

OMG funny thats what use as a staple ..you see this wise lady set me straight one day and now i even freeze the food and take out what i need each night before bed *grin* actually minus the silk worms my baby doesnt like them at the momment

Oh and bel mine was born on 4th nov last and when i weighed on 4th jan she was 22cm nose to tail tip and weighed 32.something g

and eats vege morning cricks afternoon and some more vege early evening and is currently miss cranky pants cos shes shedding again i swear this is the 3rd shed since i got her

Last edited:
Im no expert like Lizard_Lardy but there should be alot more green, endive is the best as it holds the most calcium, apparently beardy's go for colour, my main mix is endive, yellow squash, carrot, sweet potato, red capsican, then ill add things like apple, banana, blue berries, dandelions or what ever else i have at the time

Im no expert like Lizard_Lardy but there should be alot more green, endive is the best as it holds the most calcium, apparently beardy's go for colour, my main mix is endive, yellow squash, carrot, sweet potato, red capsican, then ill add things like apple, banana, blue berries, dandelions or what ever else i have at the time

My three Beardies go for the colours, Dandelions became a hit with them.

Funny story, the other day while sitting out in the sun with my three, my daughter runs off to grab the 100th dandelion in the garden to feed to the beardies, when she comes up to me with this bright yellow flower with a long stem my big male jumps up and trys to grab it, she fell over and moved it away from him on all fours, he jumped up an other 3 or 4 times before i stopped myself from wetting myself and grabbed the flower to feed to him :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back