Hoping for advice with my new snake :)

Discussion in 'Australian Snakes' started by Kalimbo, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Kalimbo

Kalimbo New Member

Hey guys!

So I just got my first snake. Its a 2 week old Diamond python. I've gotten her established in an enclosure, with fresh water, a hide, a fake tree, one half damp paper towels (on the warm side) and 1 half wood shavings. day temps ~33 Celsius and 29 at night. Keeping humidity up. I tried for a brief feed but seemed to show no interest so didn't push, perhaps still full from the yolk. I'm waiting on her first shed and im just hoping to find out if what I've set up is optimum to help her shed? Is there anything else I should do or change for this process? I've avoided handling her and just let her be.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Nick

2. kittycat17

kittycat17 Well-Known Member

Ok.... the breeder has done the wrong thing with selling a unestablished hatchling

Most breeders will not sell them until they have had at least 4 feeds and maybe 2 sheds
    This is because hatchlings can be difficult to get feeding

To make it easier on you I would put her straight into a 5-10L tub
    On paper towel with a heat mat underneath. This is the least stressful way to house a hatchling
    Also I would stop all handling until she takes a meal

Sometimes it can take weeks to months for them to start feeding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3. Yellowtail

Yellowtail Subscriber Subscriber

What's with these ignorant "breeders" selling 2 week old hatchlings to inexperienced people? Does this happen via Facebook?

Stompsy, Murph_BTK, Snapped and 2 others like this.
  4. Foozil

Foozil Well-Known Member

I agree with the above. Just for the record, you should never buy un-established snakes (unless you know what you're doing)

5. cagey

cagey Subscriber Subscriber

TWO WEEKS OLD....???????

Foozil likes this.
  6. Kalimbo

Kalimbo New Member

Alright guys I'm glad we've made it clear that the dealers done something wrong here. More so looking for advice on what to do right then to make sure i don't screw up. Cheers for the tub suggestion, so no sub apart from paper towel and no tree to climb ? just water and paper towels ? damp or dry ?

Cheers

7. Yellowtail

Yellowtail Subscriber Subscriber

It's illegal to sell parrots that are not able to crack seed other than to an experienced breeder.

Snapped and Flaviemys purvisi like this.
  8. kittycat17

kittycat17 Well-Known Member

well a hide as well :)

I find also that they respond to food better when offered it at night :)
    Also try offering fuzzie mice as they seem to take to furred prey much quicker

As upset as I am with the breeder you have done the right thing asking for more information :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Foozil likes this.
  9. Flaviemys purvisi

Flaviemys purvisi Very Well-Known Member

I think I missed the part where it was noted that this python was 2 weeks old... woah.

10. Pauls_Pythons

Pauls_Pythons Power Seller Power Seller

Diamonds can be particularly painful to get eating.
    I think the longest I had one hold out was about 14 months.......stubborn little buggers.

11. SpottedPythons

SpottedPythons Well-Known Member

Try after dark, and with smaller food items - hatchling diamonds in the wild mainly prey on small skinks during nighttime - they usually avoid mammals because they have cooled down too much to strike efficiently for mammals. Maybe try scenting the prey item, or leaving it in overnight? Two weeks is way too young, though...

12. Kalimbo

Kalimbo New Member

Thanks guys. I see the issue with her being too young and I will be doing everything in my power to do it correctly. If i notice any decline in her health whatsoever I will take her to a reptile vet to be properly cared for, I'm not negligent and money isn't an issue so I am in it for the welfare of her. I purchased frozen pinkies to feed her with. Should I try a small lizard ? It seems like they're something not readily available to buy, not from what I've seen in sydney anyway.

Again thank you for the advice guys!

Pauls_Pythons likes this.
  13. Pauls_Pythons

Pauls_Pythons Power Seller Power Seller

Lizards are not necessary in my opinion and ridiculously difficult to obtain as prey items.
    Persevere with the pinky mice and it should eat eventually. Thing is to get the basics right, (meaning husbandry). Make sure temps are good, (I heat my diamond hatchies to 35 at the hot spot 24/7. Make sure it has hide spots at both hot & cold end. Leave it be, no unnecessary handling till a good sound consistent feeding response is exhibited. Braining pinkies often works a treat for some young diamonds so that might be worth trying. Put food in at night and leave it be, in the vicinity of the snakes favourite night time hiding spot.

kittycat17 likes this.
  14. cris

cris Almost Legendary

Buy some sort of asian take away, eat the food. Rinse the plastic container, put a few ventilation holes in it and put the snake in it. Put one end of it on the heat and then your snake will eat, try every week or two, don't try to rush things.