Housing Frog Morphs...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cypher69

Reaction score
G'day guys, I recently purchased several frog morphs approx. 3 months old & from the advice of the breeder, they're currently being kept in a moist take-away container....

I've built a beautiful enclosure with live & fake plants, soil,moss, pebbles, driftwood & a small simple water feature.

I really respect the advice of the breeder to keep the morphs in the plastic container for at least another 2 months before housing them in the enclosure I set up.

It's just that if tadpoles can grow & turn into morphs in the wild & survive...would there really be a harm in transferring my morphs into the enclosure now?

Unlike the wild, there's no natural predator to pick them off & I can scatter enough pinheads throughout the enclosure to ensure there's always a reliable source of food.

The breeder mentioned that morphs tend to stay high, close to the light source & heat & may not come down to hunt & feed....so that's the only dilemma I can think of....and yet wouldn't their natural instincts kick in to hunt & feed?

Any advice would be grateful.

Keep them in the tub. It is much, much easier to care for morphs and watch their food intake in a tub than an enclosure. When introducing morphs into a larger terrarium type enclosure it is much harder to watch their intake and quite often you will find strong feeders overtaking slower ones, which can create problems later. Morphs are also very good at squeezing through the smallest of gaps, in a tub you wont have this problem. In the past I have kept morphs in either takeaway containers or plastic tubs with a bit of spagnum moss. You have been given sound advice, which I would be following.

Cheers Wasgij...I will listen to professional advice & keep them in the plastic container for at least another 2 months.

Just from your own experience, how old were your frog/morphs before you transferred them into a proper enclosure?

depends on species and size of the tank really. What frogs are they and what size is the terrarium?

They're red eyes, approx 3 months old & the terrarium's about 2 ft long & 18 inches high & wide.

the frogs should be a reasonable size then by now? I would want them roughly the size of a 10 or 20 cent piece (preferably on the larger size). at least that size you are going to be able to see them. as far as feeding them in a terrarium that size, keep the crickets in a separate, clean, inescapable tub and place it in the terrarium. I find this way much cleaner and easier to feed them, the crickets wont get away from them too. How large are the morphs? If they are still on pinheads I'm sure you are doing the right thing by keeping them in a tub an extra couple of months. Keep the food up and you'll be fine.

The morphs are prob the size of a thumb nail & judging by the amount of droppings they're leaving, I can only assume they're eating well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back