Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaemoNox

Not so new Member
Reaction score
These guys come in several hundred morphs and pattern combos, so might as well make a thread devoted to them -

How about a normal corn for starters -

IMG_4727.jpg

There's a huge degree of natural variation in them of course

IMG_2634.jpg

One of the first morphs found in nearly all species is albino, or more properly called amelanism (meaning no black pigment).

IMG_0604.jpg

The second morph out there is the opposite - Anerythrism, or the absence of red pigment.

IMG_1841.jpg

Now combine the two, a corn thats missing both red and black pigments are called snows -

IMG_2198.jpg

There is a second type of anery, called charcoal, which is much grayer -

IMG_1783.jpg

Now combine that with amel, and instead of a snow you get a corn thats nearly solid white; called a blizzard -

IMG_3329.jpg

Another early morph out there is hypomelanism, which is a reduced but not total absence of black. There are several different kinds of it floating around -

IMG_1031.jpg

And to make things even more complicated, combine hypo with a snow (amel and anery) and you get a very pinky/peachy snow -

IMG_3811.jpg

One of the morphs I'm focusing on is the diffused morph; in which babies hatch out looking somewhat normal, but as they grow their pattern starts fading and they get very bright red. It takes selective breeding to get the best colors and pattern diffusion, otherwise you will find ones looking not much different then normal corns. Bloodreds is what they are normally called, the first ones of this morph were a solid dark blood red color. These babies though were chronic bad feeders, so to fix that they had to be outcrossed and bred with other corns, in turn loosing that deep red color (however there are a few lines that still have it). The bloodreds these days look just as good but they have a lot more orange and yellow in them.

IMG_5648.jpg

And of course its being bred into other morphs, but they too need some selective breeding to get the best colors out.

Diffused + amel are called fires -

011.jpg

Diffused + anery are called granites -

IMG_0383.jpg

Oh god. It keeps going. I can see why Australia doesn't want these loose.
They seem to me like the Alley Cats of the snake world.

:cry: i want one :cry:

The other morph I'm focusing on is Lavender - which look like their name, they range from a deep greyish lavender color to very light pinky/peachy lavender.

IMG_0957-1.jpg

IMG_0958.jpg

Combine lavender with amel and you get whats called an opal; they can range from being very pinky/peachy to being almost whiter then snows -

IMG_5131.jpg

Throw anery into that mix now and you end up with a nearly solid white snake with hints of lavender in it, being called a snopal for now -

IMG_0748.jpg

And just for fun, (this isnt my snake) diffused + lavender = Plasma

lavbloodred05_01.jpg

Although alot of people will jump up and down about corns, i think this thread is informative.
Its good for those who dont know much about genetics to understand how/why certain colours are put together and what they produce.

And some of the other morphs floating around here -

Phantom (charcoal + hypo)

029.jpg

Ghost (anery + hypo)

IMG_0946.jpg

Striped anery -

IMG_4561.jpg

Caramel -

IMG_1948.jpg

Amel aztec -

IMG_1900.jpg

Motley -

IMG_1018.jpg

and an anery aztec -

IMG_3135.jpg

Again :cry: i want a purple one :cry:
Gorgeous snakes

I wouldnt consider them allycats; theyre more like designer snakes; stripes, spots, zigzags in nearly any color.

They are wonderful when it comes to genetics, its one thing learning about it but actually seeing it when you breed them.

Its almost like a box of skittles, i personally like the phantoms and the ghosts

Wow, great thread.

Some of those snakes are just amazing! Great variation :) thanks for sharing :)

Corn Snakes

A very interesting and imformative thread and l believe we have a lot more here than most people realize, even myself until recently.......cheers solar 17 [Baden][

How beautiful :D The GHOST one is my favourite. OF all the FAKE looking beautiful colours there I still like the one that looks more natural :D

I don't know much about red-eyed snakes but is it known if they have trouble seeing or no difference to dark eyes?

wonderful looking snakes presented very well, my favorites are lavender, plasma,charcoal and striped anery ncie there but not here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back