how big do adult Bredlis get?

Discussion in 'Australian Snakes' started by JessTL, Oct 17, 2018.

1. JessTL

JessTL New Member

Hello again, newbie here - well, we aren't owners yet... Looking at getting a Bredli, but there seems to be some mixed info on size. What is the average size & weight of an adult please? I know males & females are a little different & I also appreciate that there are of course variations. When we initially decided on a bredli, I'd seen it written that they get to 4-5' but since seen 7-8'... hoping that's just the 'whopper' end of the scale & not all that likely!

Of course, it must depend greatly how much theyre fed and seems to depend on age too, but how heavy do they get on av? Can't find that info anywhere.

2. Sdaji

Sdaji Almost Legendary

Unless you starve them they'll all get over 4-5'. 8' would be a really big one, rarely they'll get even larger. They're a pretty typical Carpet Python size, maybe a little on the larger than average side.

Weight varies a lot and depends a huge amount on how fat they are. It can also change dramatically (up or down) in the same snake. Sounds like you'd do well to find the opportunity to play with a few Carpet Pythons of whatever type and get a feel for how large and heavy they are, and decide whether or not they suit you. I'm not sure how physically large you are, but I personally don't find a 7-8' snake to be all that big. If I'm working with a hundred of them I prefer something smaller and more easily manageable, but I think it's fun to have at least two or three nice big snakes in the collection, and 8' is only just sort of bordering on big and doesn't really cut it. Not that it's essential to have a big snake, but 8' isn't that big.

3. JessTL

JessTL New Member

Sdaji, thanks again. Yeah I've handled big snakes before. I remember being handed a big Olive a while ago that was reasonably heavy & I think it was a lot bigger than 7'. My daughter(who's wanting one) is only small tho(13yo just little) - seems like she will just need a lot of help! ;-)

4. Bl69aze

Bl69aze Very Well-Known Member

I guess with a “large” snake (a large bredl python can do damage, although unlikely) if you’re worried, just set in a rule of “another person must be present when handling/feeding/cleaning” or even just “if you are working with the snake let someone know”

Probably a bit over cautious but might put you at ease

5. Sdaji

Sdaji Almost Legendary

Okay, for a 13 year old girl an 8' snake is very large. I personally wouldn't leave a 13 year old girl I was responsible for alone with a 8' (or 5') snake for more than a few seconds. Kids that age grow pretty quickly though, and as long as there's an adult around to help out it might be okay. For some kids it would be fine, others can't be trusted and that's your call to make. If she is planning to do most of the work herself or wants to be able to work with snakes unsupervised within the next year or two I'd suggest something smaller.

I think I got my first Carpet Pythons (one of which reached 9' and the other just over 10', they grew into particularly large adults) as hatchlings when I was about 16 or 17 years old. Before they got to 7-8' I had grown to 6'3" and was always completely comfortable handling them, although when I was about 18 or 19 I came fairly close to being killed by a large Olive Python, which was a bit of a wake up call in regard to large pythons, Then again, since that time I have caught wild Retics and Scrubbies larger than any Carpet Python without any assistance, even after having a friend killed by a python, so maybe I remain as stupid as ever.

There are plenty of fantastic pythons to choose from. Unless I was sure my 13 year old daughter was very responsible and I was willing to always supervise or take over, I'd start out with something smaller.

6. Steve64

Steve64 New Member

My bredli was a rescue snake a 'rescue snake' and according to what i was told he would be 5 years old now and is 7'. If you purchased a yearling now you could expect it to be 7' in 4 years by which time your daughter would be 17 and would have grown with the snake......Go the Bredli......

7. Mick666

Mick666 Active Member

This is Rosetta, she's just over 8 feet long. One of the few snakes that my kids aren't allowed to handle. Not that she's mean or anything, I play with her a lot. But i have received a couple of feeding response bites from her, and when she coils around something she is very strong. 99% of the time she's calm, but better to be safe than sorry.
    Rosetta 034.jpg

MANNING, Bl69aze and Snapped like this.
  8. Snapped

Snapped Subscriber Subscriber

Oh, she's just beautiful, great pic!

Mick666 likes this.
  9. Mick666

Mick666 Active Member

This is why my kids don't play with Rosetta...
    IMG_20181221_071736_819.jpg
    IMG_20181221_071752_353.jpg
    IMG_20181221_071748_344.jpg
    IMG_20181221_072437_421.jpg

10. Benno87

Benno87 New Member

Nearly killed by an olive? Wow that’s pretty hectic mate glad you came out ok. I can def see how they could be quite dangerous. What exactly happened? That’s if you don’t mind speaking about it of course.