How big is too big?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adazz

Reaction score
I've had my snake for about 7 months now, she's a coastal carpet but she had a few problems eating when she was younger so she is possibly smaller than another coastal may be at her age (approx 50cm). I figured just buying from the pet shop which is very close to my home was cheaper than a car trip off across Sydney so i bought from there, they were out of fuzzies. So i then bought the size up from that, wieners as a pinky doesn't even make a noticeable bulge anymore. But after coming home and seeing the size of the wieners (it wasn't clear packaging) I'm having second thoughts about feeding something this big to her... i know they can eat big but I'm wondering if it would be better for her to just wait till they have more fuzzies in stock or possibly cut the limbs from the wieners? :( bit stuck on this one

Are you speaking about weiner mice or rats? If its mice your speaking of, I don't see a problem with a 50cm capret python eating weiner mice. When my carpets are approx. 50 to 70cm they are usually on fuzzie rats. If you feel the feed was a bit much and are worried about digestion, give special attention to you tempuratures. Especially night time temps this time of year. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
a snake that size shouldnt have a problem,as suggested,it wil eat it or spit it out,make sure the tempertures are alright,ive got a natural itergrade about that size,my ate a weiner rat,good luck

ahhh kk then I'll give her a shot on em... they're wiener rats by the way, but probably space the feeds out a bit more to give her a little while to digest, thanks very much guys :)

i too had the same problem. so i decided to feed him the adult mouse... he spat half of it out cause he couldnt get it all down. i thought he should have been able to eat it but he didnt think he could . so i cut the head of and fed him 2 heads of the mice. that did it till i was able to get smaller ones.

i just bumped a thread by JasonL... on th 7th submission he has a pic of a snake & the size relevant feed
hope it helps you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back