How can you tell if a bearded dragon egg is fertile?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shine a small torchlight through it and look for a small pink circle (germinal disc).
If you don't see one straight away don't give up on it, if its fertile you will see veins growing within a few weeks.

This is what your looking for (its usually not this obvious and you cannot see it without candling but this will give you the idea)

al2.jpg

Last edited:
are there any physical features like if its wrinkly or not.

also is your substrate your using in your pic vermiculite and if it is, is that what it is meant to look like mixed in with water?

Last edited:
if an egg is wrinkly that would indicate it is drying out, candling is the only way to tell if its fertile or not

the substrate in that pic looks like a mix of sand and vermiculite which many people use as a laying medium

i candled them and they look like they are fertile if they are wrinkly how do i make them more moist or will the become more moist when i put them in the vermiclite mixed in with water?

make sure they are about half submerged in the vermeculite, i had 1 egg go wrinkly, but then it came good after i moistened the vermeculite a bit more, if they have some pink veins never give up on them, the rewards are worth the effort

do i just moisten the vermeculite with a spray bottle?

also most of the eggs are wrinkly i think i life them in the enclsoure to long

How long ago where they layed? What have you got them in?

You have to keep them upright..how they were layed, dont roll them..

Can you put up a pic of the eggs?

They were layed last night, i kept them up right. Ill upload a pic soon.

Weigh the vermiculite and then add the same weight of water, you can just tip it in but I prefer to spray it, either way it doesn't matter as long as you give a thorough shake before adding the eggs

yeah a spray bottle should do.....in the old tubs i used to use i would just leave a corner with a bit of room so if it dried out at all i could pour some water in the corner without getting the eggs wet. they need humidity not to be wet, so try to avoid spilling water on them, as well keep an eye on the condensation on the lid of the tub, as it can drip onto the eggs and kill them, or grow mould

are there any physical features like if its wrinkly or not.

also is your substrate your using in your pic vermiculite and if it is, is that what it is meant to look like mixed in with water?
Thats a mix of sand and vermiculite I used as a laying box medium, I did not use it to incubate them

thanks everyone for your help here are some pics of the eggs.

sorry the pics are uploading

It finally worked it was just takingt a while to upload
View attachment 221877

Last edited:
Treat all eggs as they are fertile untill it is very clear that they are not, candling, whist handy to know how to do is not going to make them fertile, and mistakes can be made by in experienced people doing it. I have had bright yellow BD eggs that at a glance was sure they were bad all hatch fine...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back