How cute is this!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

instar

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Hey Folk,
I wanted to share with you my first personal upclose elapid encounter in 30 years!
Today I held The most beautiful baby red belly black snake (RBB) Pseudechis porphyriacus That had been born the day before. This tiny baby was already active and inquisitive and sporting the lovely red belly the species is known for.
Enjoy!

Click to enlarge

Yesterday

Today

They're just as toxic as an adult.

Gorgeous neonate.

I love the red bellies :D I think their main toxin is a necrotoxin which destroys the flesh and muscle tissue, naturally thats not the only toxin they produce but I think it's the main one, and as Kris has already said, they are well armed from day 1. (Don't quote me on the venom part though lol)

Thats gorgeous :D

And yes one of my bone headed mates ended up in hospital from a little fella just like that :lol:

YYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HHHHAAAAAAAAWWWWWWW!!!!!!!

free handling vems = stoopid.

seen too many people bit, by vems they have had for years.

I was going to say congrats for holding the little guy, I envy you!

but...

I think the only time I can call someone stoopid for 'handling' venomous snakes was when years ago, my best friends dad caught a baby brown with welding gloves, and they chucked it in an empty fish tank and tried to keep it as a pet (NO snake experience what-so-ever!). They soon learned when it escaped and killed their cat )poor cat, poor snake).

But if you want to hold dangerous snakes it's up to you, and no-one should be allowed to tell you otherwise.

As for myself, I would love to get a death adder, but I dont think my boyfriend will let me :(

When you handle vens' it is your decision, But it doesnt only affect you if you get bit..

I makes all herpers look worse and tarnishes the reputation of ven keepers... Also costs alot of money to get Anti-Venom..

If you play with knives and get hurt or die, that's your choice, fine. If you play with highly venomous snakes and get hurt or die, I might lose my right to get more venomous snakes and new people may never get the chance to get them at all. If needed, your trip to hospital will cost the tax payers (us) thousands, maybe tens of thousands of dollars and hurt our image, which is already unfairly bad. We don't need to confirm peoples' opinions of us. You're not just playing with your own well being. All we need is for someone to get bitten and one of those absurd "current affairs" programs to get hold of the story and we'll have a public outcry to ban the keeping of snakes. You have to wonder what the purpose of posting freehandling pictures is. It's funny that so high a proportion of venomous snake pictures posted are of freehanding or the snake being as close to the person's face as possible. Yee haw.

Hey thanks Sdaji, Thats exactly what i was trying to point out.. Just didnt get it across so well.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back