Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

imalizard

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Well as the title says! Just post how you became interested in snakes.

Heres mine

It all started when I was about 7 or 8. It was my birthday and I got a new tank for my yabby. We didn't have enough rocks/gravel to fill the tank....so I got a container from the cupboard and headed out the door.... it was a hot day and I had no shoes on (bad idea). I got the rocks from the driveway and was about to open the door when I heard something rustling in the bushes.

I walked over to the bushes to have a look. It was a baby brown...... I threw the rocks out of the container and picked up the snake and put it in the container with its head next to my hand ( another bad idea ). I ran into the house to show my family ( another bad idea). I yelled out "Dad look what I got, can we put it in the tank?". My dad came out to see what I had and boy he got a surprise. He quickly ran towards me took the container out of my hands and threw it out the door. I said to him it wasn't going to hurt me.... its a friendly one.

I got quite a talking to after that..... that could of been my last b day lol

Thats how i got into snakes!!!

Still yet to get into snakes, waiting for my magical moment. But i got into lizards when i saw a dog next to my drive way growling at something and it picked it up. So i went to see what it was and the dog had a blue tongue in its mouth. I grabbed the dog and released the bluie.

Had the bluie, or Crip as i called it, in my care for a few weeks, and then released it again. He lived in our garden for a few months after that.

This was when i was about 13

:D

fascinated but wary...i like to draw a bit
so for me it was about colouration ,form,pattern,scale shape...
then when i first held one....it took my breath away:lol:;)

when I was about 9 years old my uncle gave me a dead redbelly black in a big pablo coffee jar ,it was in metho, every few months i had to put new metho in ,after a few years it didnt look to good so my mum made me throw it out ,probably to the fact I also kept getting it out of the jar and playing with it ,i loved it and wish'd it was alive ,even wearing it wrapped around my arm and taking it to school .....and my interest just got more and more ,it wasnt untill about 2000 that i really started wanting to do something with snakes so i got some info found out alot and then a few years later got taught by a fatastic man how to handle snakes and catch them .and have been a permit holder since ........venomous snakes are my favourite .......

I was kind of afraid of snakes until I was about 21, when my partner of the time was really into reptiles. We went to a pet shop where I held a little juvie carpet python that bit me before I had a chance to move; that's one way to get over a fear of snakes.

After that, I was hooked. I couldn't get over how soft and warm the little guy was, and how inquisitive he seemed after he calmed down. A few months later, when my license arrived, after some pretty intensive research, I got the two diamonds that I still have.

Always loved them, would see them when camping and catch skinks/geckos, had an uncle who would catch lizards, had a few snakes in metho, I started catching blue tongues and housing them over summer in a big tractor tyre we had out the back and then letting them go where I found them-then catch them again the year after:D. Always facinated by snakes but had ideas about price and how hard they are to keep. Encountered some people with them, wife was nervous but a trip to wildlife show and exposure to 8ft coastal was what really got us going. Now I think I should go to HA meetings (and my wife is not far behind it seems):D:D:D

I suppose for me it was watching A country practice of all things does anyone remember the Diamond python(jewels) Molly had living in their house, thought it was the most magnificent thing when I was 6 or 7. Then used to find heaps of snakes fishing when I got a bit older and have been and will always be fascinated with them since then

The first time I ever held a snake (and fell in love with them) was when I went to Dubbo Zoo about 1997 and held a spotted python... from then on I wanted a pet snake... I even have a photo of the exact moment!

when i was really young (like 6 or 7) the local doctor had a diamond python in the waiting room,...from then on my brother and i begged for a snake,... :)

Well mine started about a year ago. All my life iv been scared of snakes. If i seen them in books or movies or in real life i would start shaking and crying, then i wouldnt be able to breath thats how scared i was. Then one day my partner took me to the australia zoo, i told him i want to try n hold that big snake to get over my fear. Well i was in the line shaking like crazy, then it got up to my turn. I started crying and shaking more, i sat down he put the big python on me, and im my photo you can see me like shaking tears running down my face. And then strait after that i got a bit better i could look at them. then i couple of months after got my first children's python, Then a month after that got 2 bredli's, then another bredli and 3 weeks after that got a beautiful olive python. So thats my story lol.

Because sheep became boring for me :p

Just jokes...

The real reason - I first laid eyes on a snake in the real world in December 2005 - there's no snakes in NZ.

My first snake was a huge olive python - I was amazed at what it felt like and how awesome it was. The closest idea I had of snakes before that was 'worms' - I knew they didn't feel slimey - but I couldn't imagine how soft and silky they really did feel.

My second snake I saw was in the wild - Across the road from JCU on a hot December (05) evening... It was at least 4m long - a beautiful scrubby that freaked out when we walked into its path on the darkened Smithfield Road. My girlfriend at the time (also a kiwi) fell over with shock. I got photos of it to - but nothing good.

But I think that December of 05 was when the bug hit... I researched 8 months and got my first spotted Python in August 06 (around the same time I joined the site),

Amazing animals - and certainly nothing like what we can get in NZ....

What's not to like?
I'm interested in herps, the same way some people like to collect stamps (I don't collect herps though).

My misses always wonted snakes but i was not so keen at first then one day at dreamworld i seen a fella there with a Stimson python had a pat and a chat with the fella
The next day went and filled out the form for my licence and now try and stop us can't get enough of them LOl

Before snakes I use to keep verieties of fresh water crays, Tandanus tandanus (still one of my favrite type of fish) and frogs.

Untill the day I saw a bargain in the Trading post, $300 for enclosure with fittings and a Murry Darling. Couldn't say no to a bargain so went for a trip to salisbury (note I have never held a snake before that day) Hesistant at 1st : I asked the guy if i can give the snake a hold, he seemed very friendly so purchased in cash on the spot.

What a boring story ? indeed !

i think the reason i got interested in snakes and all reptiles is because they have this beauty that no other animal can offer and i wanted something with a diffrence

My 2 daughters had a cat that ran under a car, the youngest (2 at the time) said "its alright dad, we can get a snake now like Jack."

Good work Sparra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back