How do I "re-tame" my captive Shingleback?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

baibro

Reaction score
I have had my pet shingleback for a few years now, kept in an inside enclosure. I purchased the lizard of a breeder who had frequently handled the lizard and had it well tamed. For the first 12 months that I had the lizard I would commonly take it out of its enclosure and hold it, or let it walk around the house while watching tv on rainy days or outside in the sun on sunny days. Slowly the lizard was handled less often, and the only human interaction it would get was when I would feed it, now, almost 2 years later, my lizard is very panicky when I put my hand in its enclosure, even when I just place its food bowl down, and it will not let me pick it up, always hissing, trying to bite or running away (or to in an attempt to bite).As stated above, the lizard was already tamed when I purchased it so I have no experience in taming reptiles, so how would I go about making my lizard more comfortable around people and allow people to pet and pick it up? Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

[MENTION=29998]baibro[/MENTION], Seems pretty easy to me, just reproduce what the breeder did in the first place.....just handle/hold/interact with it on a daily (more if you want) basis, having been settled (i don't like that word tamed) previous it should not take too long to resettle it. :) ...........................Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back