How do you handle a small snake?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whaa

Reaction score
Hi
I have had an eastern small blotched python (maculosus) for a year now but in relation to bitting I was wondering the corect way to handle he. I got him as a juvinile and he is now one year old. I have always treated him with the utmost care and repect. He can be very nervious some of the time and he used to snap. Because of this whenever I handle him I am incredibly gentle and very slow with my movements around him. If I feel that he is not in a good mood (which isnt very often) or I feel he has had enough handling then I put him away immediatly. Earlier this week the guy I bought the snake off came over because he is organising me some bearded dragons. I showed him my snake and when he took it out he just picked the snake right up and he wasnt careless but he was a lot more direct than me and I could tell that the snake was uncomfortable and he soon started snapping. I was wondering if I should be handling him like this so he gets used to it and just ignore the snapping and it will eventually stop. Or if I should continue to be very gentle and slow and let the 'snake be in control'.
what do I do????
How do you guys handle your snakes? :?

I always use snake hooks to first handle my snakes.I find many advantages to using them.Even as hatchlings ill use a tiny hook to get them out of the enclosure.This allows them to get used to the hook and realise its handling time not feeding time as I feed them in there enclosures.(they usually settle once outside the enclosure anyhow) Also if your snake is not expecting to be touched and you startle them they may snap in defence so with a slight touch of the hook before attempting to remove them it lets them know that I am about to pull them out for handling.

They soon realise that the snake hook is a good thing meaning attention and an outside wander in the sunlight.

Hi Whaa

I think what CC said is good practice and quite a common method, I generally fo the same. I don't think you should ever be less than gentle with a snake. This doesn't mean you need to be too gentle. Just be careful but confident. Just a question about the location of the enclosure and the furnishing. Does your snake have somewhere to hide when it needs to. Is the enclosure exposed to people passing regularly. I guess what I'm getting at is that the snake needs to be able to hide when it wants to, otherwise it will probably get stressed and this may make it less comfortable during handling. 8)

With Tweezers! :)
Hehehe, seriously though, gentle is good but don't let the snake be in control, that is your job. It sounds like the snake is happy with the way you are handling at the moment so if you are happy with it too I don't see any reason to change. Just keep on keeping on and all should be fine. It's probably more important to be in control if you ever handle large or larger snakes. Just do what makes the two of you happy :)

i cant exactly speak from experiance here but i think that if you have found a way that you and your snake are comfy in the way you handle him then why change?
if someone else doesnt ask how you handle him before they try to handle thats their fualt for not asking as every person seems to have a different method in handling their snake.
could be wrong
sounds fair to me though.
:)

Confidence is the key.
It sounds as if you may be a little hesitant in handling the snake.
Your snake is still only small, if it bites you, you wil probably survive.
I personally don't think hooks are needed for non-venemous snakes.
Always pick the snake up about midway in a smooth action. If the snake swings it's head towards your hand.(this is important)..DO NOT pull your hand away. Pulling your hand away will teach the snake how to 'bluff' you and you don't want that. You have to be willing to risk getting bitten in order not to get bitten....does that make sense?
By the same token...if your snake is already in a defensive pose..you should not try to handle it. Snakes have bad hair days too.
You probably know most of this anyway.....

thanks for all the great advice guys. I think I will continue to handle him they way I have been. He has no need to feel insecure in his enclosure because he has a hide where he can curl up nice and tight. The enclosure is also located in a room not used very often except by me when I am with the snake.
Well thanks again everyone, I think I'll go and sit with him now because practice makes perfect.

well i have a very cranky coastal carpet that is almost a year old and ever since i got him he is cranky all the time ready to strike as for the female she is so placid maybe it is a male thing i think so,anyways i like to show him who is boss cause he certainly is not the boss,so i go in and he is sitting in his almight sssss position and i just put my hand in and grab him and yeah he may strike at me but it does not hurt at all,and then he is cool!! u ahve to show him who is boss!! just like kids do you let the kids get away with everything and let them be in charge????? no doesn't work that way for me i am the boss and show my kids i am boss and animals r exactly the same you show them who is boss!!! or you won't get anywhere.. that is my opinion. fiona. :eek:

Thanks for the advice Fiona however I quite like it when the kids are in charge! (I'm 17) :lol: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back