How do you setup your heat mats?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

repty23

Reaction score
Hi,
I was just wondering if this would work? If i got a 20W heat mat at the bottom of the enclosure and then put a tile on top with the thermostat on that? How else do i install the heat mat? Any help is greatly appreciated
Thanks
-Will

I put the sensor just above the heat mat which is under the hide. This keeps the hide warm but doesnt neccessarily raise the temp of the whole enclosure. If you want to warm the entire enclosure, move the sensor higher, but monitor that the hide doesnt get too hot and roast your snake
All the heatmats I have show the diagram to put the sensor just above the mat. If yours has instruction sheet, follow thier advice. Some are designed for under glass only, others for inside other material (timber/laminate) enclosures.

My friend made his heat mats by sandwiching heat cord with two tiles. It seems to work pretty well. But i couldnt put a tile on the heat mat with his hide. Im also have a heat light basking spot.

My friend made his heat mats by sandwiching heat cord with two tiles. It seems to work pretty well. But i couldnt put a tile on the heat mat with his hide. Im also have a heat light basking spot.
theres no need for both , your just waisting power and money .

so what do i do if im using ozpet bedding??? wont it burn it?

so what do i do if im using ozpet bedding??? wont it burn it?

If its getting hot enough to burn compressed wood pellets you've got bigger issues than where to place the thermostat probe. If anything the substrate will block some of the heat so it will be less efficient but depending on depth of substrate and size of heater it could still work

You need a covered heatpad, not the clear flat type (for under glass enclosures) or is that why you have the tile? I agree with sax ^ if the heat pad got hot enough to combust anything, it would roast your snake! They only get to about 40c unless you are silly enough to not use a thermostat. What you are doing sounds fine to me.

Ok well the reason I wanna use a tile is so I can glue the probe to it? I think I will do it my way.

What's your way? The one in the OP? There's no reason that shouldn't work.
I think the glue thing on the tile is a good idea. I have struggled finding ways to attach probes to tiles and things in the past but a dab of glue or Selley's All Clear seems to be the simplest

I have my heat matts in 12+ enclosure inside the cage with the probe of t'stat under the matt and the lead of the probe is siliconed to the hole in the side of the enclosure, ozpet bedding surrouding the matt and they hold great temps with no drama's.
You only need one heat source so they can and do 80% of the time go to the other end of the cage too cool down.

Cheers

I have a heat mat (paper thin laminate looking type) directly in my stimsons tank half under his hide and covered with coconut fibre and river stones...been like that all his life and so far so good. I then have my coastal carpet pythons directly under his glass tank floor again covered with coconut fibre and his hide placed over half of it. It provides warmth but not as much as montys. I have had no problems with mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back