how long after a pythons eyes go milky/grey is it going to shed?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MurrayDarling101

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey my murray darling has milky eyes today and am wondering if this means shes going to shed soon or what does this mean? Cheers

they will go blue and then clear back up again and then a few days after that, they will slough.

- - - Updated - - -

the snake's colour will appear dull at this time also

How about you invest some time researching the needs of your snake. Yes you can get info from here, but you really should make an effort to learn about it's needs yourself.

I think that his questions on this forum is him doing his research.

As Steve said. They go blue (milky) then seem to almost go back to normal colour, a day or two after that they should shed their skin. Your fella will probably hide most of this time then come out to shed or would have done it in its hide. Also they tend to do a big poo soon after shedding and may be a tad more defensive than usual also.

Be patient, it will happen, and pay attention to its colour and in time you will get the feel for when it will shed.

Aaron

How about you invest some time researching the needs of your snake. Yes you can get info from here, but you really should make an effort to learn about it's needs yourself.
I can't agree more... There is a search bar to help u find all the answers u r looking for... People don't mind the odd quick question cause that's what were here for but u presently have 5 threads going on my screen as I look right now .... Jeeez ;)

I agree with Darlyn and MidsReps that you should do a little research. A lot of this stuff you are asking should be looked into before you get your snake. Saying that I will still answer your question, usually they will stay blue (milky) for a day when it is coming up to shed and your snake may (probably) go off its food and hide away during this time. Usually it should shed 5 to 7 days after clearing up. I suggest a great book called Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons by Mike Swan , I found this book very helpful when I was learning the ropes and think that many of your questions will be answered plus the next 5 that you come up with.

Agree with everything said above. I prefer the 'Complete Carpet Python' book myself but that is more personal choice.

To add to the answers provided though, it is best not to feed your snake if you know it is coming up to shed. The lump in their belly can cause the shed to get stuck halfway down and even cause loss of circulation. Some are pigs and will eat whenever food is offered and some won't want a bar of it.

The process is, to a large extent, temperature dependent, the warmer it is the quicker it will happen. 7-14 days between onset and finally shedding is common, sometimes it takes a few more days.

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back