How Long is Too Long?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BROWNS

Very Well-Known Member
Banned
Reaction score
Hey peoples,
Just wondering how long you can keep thawed rodents in the fridge for before they are no good for a snake to eat?I just got out a heap of rats and mice thawed out 5 days ago and hate wasting rodents as there's a heap to feed so if I do have to toss the thawed out rodents I wil if it's detrimental to the snakes health.I've never left them thawed for longer than 3 days in the fridge with so many rodents but due to personal medical problems I haven't been able to do much at all in the last week and will be tossing away probably around $80-$100 worth of top quality frozen food for my snakes and I know what I'm sure the answer will be but would be keen to hear some very experienced advice on the topic.The fridge is cold as it gets before freezing anything in it if that helps with the answer?Cheers.........

Were they kept in a sealed airtight bag/container.?
I probably wouldn't . But it does feel like an awful waste, oh well, cop it on the chin.

The bacteria man, the bacteria. A week is just to long for my liking.

I tell by the smell and the look, after 5 days they would be turning i think Browny.
Got any monitors of birds like kookies,ravens,ect..even a dog would appreciate them i think.
Waste not want not i say.
Ravens and maggies take the most disgusting stuff and think its xmas.

They are all in sealed bags but not all will be airtight as every now and then the bags get a hole in them taking in water as well so as I thought, looks like I'll be tossing them,$100 is nothing in comparison to the well being of any of my animals.I've got one small storrs monitor lol and that's it and way to small for any of the rodents,I'll play it safe and freeze them for next rubbish day,thanks for the advice all who commented,much appreciated!

Mate, so long as you're OK!- bugger the rats.

can you refreeze them and cut them up for your monitor. Might take a while to get rid of them but at least they're not going to waste

$80-$100. how much is just one snake worth? sorry i wouldnt risk it. throw them out. hope your health is back on track

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back