How much handling does a snake like

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KarenJet

Reaction score
Hi, have just purchased my first snake, a 15 month old Stimpson python. Was just wondering how regularly a snake can be handled and for how long? Husband seems to think every 3rd day so we don't make it cranky. Have been holding it for at least 20 mins.
Cheers

They don't like it at all.
Over time many are conditioned to tolerate it, but I can guarantee they'd be 100% happier to be left alone in their enclosures their entire life...

I asked mine and he never gave me an answer. So couldn't tell u if he likes to be held or if he 100% hates it

My pythons would totally detest beign left in enclosures their entire life as they do enjoy getting out and moving around smelling and climbing etc on new things, i open the doors and they come out if they want and dont if they dont which i must say unless they are coming into shed or have just eaten will mostly come out even if to just lay infront of enclosure. i do beleive they become acustom to their surrounds and handling routine though and body language will tell if they are stressed at being handled.

One of my jungles often slithers onto my hand of his own free will.... This isn't the behaviour of an animal that hates being handled. Snakes, like people, vary in character and can't be stereotyped.

It's up to the snake. My Jungle will climb all over me until it's me that's had enough. On the other hand there are days she won't want a bar of me. If you have let it settle for about a week, then take it out and see how it goes. Your snakes behaviour will tell you all the info you need.

Always an interesting discussion.

My opinion is - It is a case by case basis. Some snakes will tolerate handling better than others, as a general rule though, less is best. I handle my snakes about once week to give them a quick once over (health check) and do some maintenance. I just don't think long stints on the couch with them does them any good, and is more for the enjoyment of the keeper.

Always amazes me when people claim that their snakes love it. One thing I'm certain of is that handlers get more enjoyment than the snake does.

I guess in part it comes down to their mental consciousness. Whether they appreciate the added stimulation or would be just as content curled up and living in a box all the time? I for one believe they are curious and explorers so additional stimulation and an opportunity to stretch out and exercise is both enjoyed and good for them. Having said that, some will always just want to stay where they are most familiar and feel safe and secure, ie, their enclosure.

Can't say either way that snakes benefit from the mental stimulation they get from being handled/taken out. Most like to be left alone. While I also can't say whether a snake likes to be handled/removed from enclosure some individuals at least tolerate it and accept that we, their handlers, aren't going to hurt them.

My spotted python I'm sure would prefer to be left alone, spends most of his time in his favourite hide. He would never come out voluntarily but once out, is quite a wanderer and explorer. My woma on the other hand I can open the door and she comes straight out onto my hand every opportunity. I am thinking it is more about just getting out and exploring that they enjoy, not so much being handled, they would wander off on their own in a heartbeat given a chance!

They don't 'LIKE' being handled. They tolerate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back