how much is glass?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Best to take your measurements to a glass place and get them to tell you but i would go to a view different glass places because some do it cheaper than others :)

Caleb.

as stated also thickness of the glass can vary the price.
cheers liam

That does not sound like a bright idea...
Work out final cost...then begin building...

Idea>design plans>work out costing> all before you start any work...basics of D&T so some german guy taught me...

Well i just built a 6 foot high by 2 x 2 foot tank for my diamons. other than the back rock wall the res of it is glass, and i scored all that glass for about $300 man incl drilling etc for hinges and the like =)

I paid $40 for a 3ft enclosure for 5mm glass. Depends on your local glazier though. Just make and educated guess what size you need then give them a call.

That does not sound like a bright idea...
Work out final cost...then begin building...

Idea>design plans>work out costing> all before you start any work...basics of D&T so some german guy taught me...

Why is that not a bright idea ?
If he is building a cage it will need glass regardless of cost , so the cost is not really important prior to making it ...
And as for "designing" before you start , its a box , it is so simple my 6 year old could make one.

from memory 5mm clear float glass is about $80-$90 per square meter.

Work out rough size, go to local glazier and ask for a quote. Unless its going into a frame don't forget to tell them you want the edges rounded. Smaller places are better as they often keep off cuts from larger sheets and pass them on cheaper.

Try your local 2nd hand building supplies or buy-back centre at the tip. It will probably cost you 5 or 10 dollars for the glass, then build your enclosure to suit.

There is usually more than one way to skin a cat ;)

Be cautious buying 'old glass" from it's often too thin to be safe. The slightest knock and it will crack. 5mm should be the thinnest you go for any sizeable piece of glass

Last edited:
I use secondhand laminated shopfront glass. It comes from left overs when shop fronts are broken as they just throw it out. I had a deal when i was building my cages where they charged me $5 a piece. I just gave them the measurements and in a couple of months I had 300 odd peices at a tenth of new price and saved all that waste going to landfill. Laminated shopfront glass is 6.88mm thick so very strong, plus laminated.

Last edited by a moderator:
What wokka says is good, but if you're just in the market for a couple pieces, you must SHOP AROUND the local, smaller glaziers, you'll get a much better price from them than if you go to a big outlet, and the price may be as little as 1/3 of what you'll pay elsewhere.

Jamie

Be cautious buying 'old glass" from it's often too thin to be safe. The slightest knock and it will crack. 5mm should be the thinnest you go for any sizeable piece of glass

^^ Great advice ^^. I only use safety glass for my enclosures. I dont think you can cut it though.

What would you call a sizeable piece of glass Jax? Cheers

Anything over 30cm x 30cm :)
Anything at ground level or used to house anything bigger than a 1.2metre (4ft)snake I use laminate or safety glass.
You can't cut safety glass once its been made, you can cut laminate but wouldn't recommend DIY, its 2 thin panes of glass stuck together. I'm good, but not good enough to get both sheets perfect LOL

Anything over 30cm x 30cm :)
Anything at ground level or used to house anything bigger than a 1.2metre (4ft)snake I use laminate or safety glass.
You can't cut safety glass once its been made, you can cut laminate but wouldn't recommend DIY, its 2 thin panes of glass stuck together. I'm good, but not good enough to get both sheets perfect LOL

Cheers Jax. Love all your DIY knowledge!

LOL. I read a good quote many years ago.
" a wise man learns from his mistakes, a wiser man learns from mistakes made by others "

Lets just say I've had a lot of years 'learning' !!!

I use secondhand laminated shopfront glass. It comes from left overs when shop fronts are broken as they just throw it out. I had a deal when i was building my cages where they charged me $5 a piece. I just gave them the measurements and in a couple of months I had 300 odd peices at a tenth of new price and saved all that waste going to landfill. Laminated shopfront glass is 6.88mm thick so very strong, plus laminated.

I might have to put this to my glass guys, its not something I had thought about ! Top idea wokka !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back