How much to feed an adult perthensis?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dg

Not so new Member
Reaction score
A few months ago I got a beautiful pair of Antaresia perthensis. The male is adult, the female is a 2012 juvenile. Both snakes have settled in perfectly, and are very enthusiastic feeders. My question is, regarding the adult male, how often should he be fed? I am well aware that in the wild these snakes would not come across food items with the same regularity as can be offered in captivity, and it would be very easy to overfeed them. I would imaging that in the wild these snakes are simply always hungry. Obesity with males will affect their reproductive ability, so I'd like to know how often others breeding this species feed their adults. Currently I feed him one small mouse every 10-14 days.

Apart from this, I have to say these perthensis are fantastic snakes; they are both very observant and curious of all movements in the room (or they are simply greedy, and waiting for the food to appear)! They are the only pythons I have kept in over twenty years of snake keeping, and are firm favourites. I am aiming to breed from this pair, and so a second question: how old, or how big should the female be before breeding? I'm in no hurry to breed them, and am happy to wait until she's definitely up for the demands of egg production.

(I don't have a computer at home, so can't read or reply to messages outside of work hours).

were these animals purchased from a breeder?,maybe you could contact the breeder in regards to feeding

Yep, good idea. I've already emailed the two guys who I got them from. I'll post their answers when I hear back from them - but I'd still be keen to know what others on this forum think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back