How Often and Long Do you handle young snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lowrider

Reaction score
How often should you be handling young snakes for
A: Hacthies
B: 6 months
C: 12 months onwards
I'm just after a guideline so there is NO stress on the Snake, so I end up with a chill, happy to be out for an explore and a stretch to keep them happy. Thanks for all positive input.

Hi Lowrider
Its also important to learn to interpret their body language. For example if they constantly try to wiggle out of your hands or curl their neck in an S as if to strike every time you move or everything startles them easily. Its best to leave them alone. Muscle tension is a good indicator of their mood as well. When they are stressed they will tense up and increase their grip on your arm or whatever they may be on at the time. When they are not , they are usualy quite relaxed with little to no muscle tension, and will tolerate being gently moved around without resisting. Good luck.

Not at all.

How much you *can* handle is another question.

Almost none of mine ever get handled other than what's necessary for cleaning etc. Almost all of them handle perfectly calmly.

Can't say they like being handled and my enclosures are more than just adaquet, but they do like exploring the garden , basking on the clothes line on a nice day and climbing round or just stretching out relaxing on the top shelf in their aviary every now and then. So rather than keep them cooped up in a box 24/7/365 only removing them when its absolutly nesesary i prefer to give them a little mental and sensory stimulation. For the stress it seems to cause them ( none ) i think its worth it. Your animal, your choice.

Latest posts

Back