how often do snakes usually drink?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sezzzzzzzzz

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I got my first snake a couple of weeks ago, and so far I have never seen her drink.... I am just worried she'll dehydrate.
She's a 3 yr old atherton jungle.

thanks in advance
~Sarah~

Some drink all the time others never do. They get most of there fluids from the prey they eat. It's nothing to worry about as long they have access to water they will drink if they want.

Last edited:
One of mine drinks at least once a day, as for the other two, I have only seen one drink once, and I've never seen the last one drink.

The one that drinks all the time has runny poo's -.-

Mine drink all the time, would depend on temps ect.
Some rarely drink.

As much as mine drink they never shout:)

put some fresh water in. i generally only see mine drink when the water bowl has been cleaned and refilled.

put some fresh water in. i generally only see mine drink when the water bowl has been cleaned and refilled.

Yep, Jack's right. Most reptiles will only drink water when it's fresh - after a day they're no longer interested.

Jamie.

i also defrost the mice/rats in warm water so when fed the fur is all wet with hydration

But when you do catch them having a drink it's cool to watch.the way their little cheeks bulge out then they swallow and repeat.when one of the bigger snakes drinks you can watch the water level drop.

Hi new to loving snakes you will hardly ever your python drinking so dont worry if you dont you wil see them having a bath from time to time pm if you need to know somrthing

surely you mean 'wet with water'. you can be hydrated with water or other liquids.

it was a play on words the OP was worried about the snake dehydrating, so the opposite being hydration i said what i said based on the assumption it would not need explaining :( assumption fail on my behalf

This little fella drinks all the time but I was blown away this afternoon when my son held a cup of water up to him & he had a good old drink for about a minute.002.jpg001.jpg

002.jpg

001.jpg

I was blown away this afternoon when my son held a cup of water up to him & he had a good old drink for about a minute.

Aww, that's so cute, my Murray Darling does that too, I'm glad he's not the only one :)

It was very cute, I would never have thought to hold a cup up to snake but trust my boy to think of it. A bit peeved we didn't get it on video though, we could clearly see him working his mouth sucking up the water.

Yep, Jack's right. Most reptiles will only drink water when it's fresh - after a day they're no longer interested.

Jamie.

I have never heard so much bull in my life.
I will get hounded for this, but it is not right.

Since reading this thread I have taken more obsrevant notice of when mine drink.
Now it depends on the type of snake, but Blackheaded Pythons tend to drink more often than others, perhaps every couple of days & it also depends on temperature & humidity.
I normally only clean the water when soiled or dirty or every week otherwise. in between I only top up with fresh water.
Now I have been watching my snakes recently since this qst was asked, & I have noted on several occasions that they have drunk from water bowls that maybe some days old.
What do you think they do in the wild????

Just keep a clean water bowl & they will be fine!

At the end of each day we put water in the palm of our hands
Any snakes that have been handled are offered a drink before all those nasty people germs are washed off in the pool
Over 50% just slurp it up
Very very cool feeling

We do change water every day but thats just habit I got into because mozzies love older water

I tend to catch my womas drinking fairly often, whereas my diamond will sometimes like to go into his water bowl. The others I don't actually see going near their water, but that doesn't mean they don't.

I believe a lot of it has to do with their cage temperatures. A python that is being cooled down over winter will rarely drink, but a python in a warm, dry enclosure will drink frequently to remain hydrated.

I also agree with the fresh water theory. Warm, stale water turns them off, but they seem to gravitate to a bowl of cool fresh water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back