how often do snakes usually drink?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
At the end of each day we put water in the palm of our hands
Any snakes that have been handled are offered a drink before all those nasty people germs are washed off in the pool
Over 50% just slurp it up
Very very cool feeling

We do change water every day but thats just habit I got into because mozzies love older water

longqi
I am not wanting to change your habits nor anyone elses, but bring the fact to light.

Town treated water is mostly treated with a chlorine substance that is to kill of molecules of disease & algae etc.
If you put treated water into a bucket overnight it would be very normal water to put fish into. The most problem that comes from fish into tap water is the chlorine. This will evaporate out of treated water within 24 hrs.
Now that is the same for any treated water, so if I was a snake or a person that was worried about the treated water just put in a bucket o/night & then drink it.

Now this is different if you are treating Blue Green Algae which is normally soil born, but has been around for millions of years, this algae (some forms) becomes toxic when it is killed or dead, it releases toxins into the water & can only be filtered out by active carbon.

Hence I don't think that a snake prefers immediatly toped up water as to day old water.
One can say about rainwater collected & I have had this argument before as well.
The rainwater collected from rooftops. Have you ever thought of the dust & sediment collection, even if you have a first overtop system.
What about the bats & birds that might deficate on your roof as flying past not to mention other diseases that might come to rest on you roof.
HENDRO virus is one of the scariest that comes to mind, at this piont in time is only passed on to human via horses. but if some of the leading scientists are right, If it modifies & passes from human to human or bat to human?? WE are in deep S--T.

Now I find it very very hard to believe that a snake would prefer to drink from a fresh water bowl than a one or two day old one.
What do they do in nature?

Just my opinion, but a learned one.

Wouldn't it depend on the water that is offered? Chlorinated water would be better left a day & so would tank water but if it is spring water or filtered it might be different.
The cup our little Woma was drinking from was straight from the filtered water tap and we have found he usually comes out for a drink after his bowl is topped up or cleaned.

Wouldn't it depend on the water that is offered? Chlorinated water would be better left a day & so would tank water but if it is spring water or filtered it might be different.
The cup our little Woma was drinking from was straight from the filtered water tap and we have found he usually comes out for a drink after his bowl is topped up or cleaned.

You can generally find the awnser in your own thoughts & use you own perception of what people telll you. One can only be guided as to what you believe.

Cheers
Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back