Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Naga_Kanya

Reaction score
Last year when my little Stimson's python hurt himself, I took him to a reptile vet who seemed extremely surprised at how old he was (12 years old). He kept saying that generally you didn't see snakes that old. I was under the impression that pythons generally live to around the 20 year mark (as a generalisation), and I've been a bit puzzled by his remarks since. I'm hoping I get another good decade with my little guy! I haven't seen mention of many older snakes on the forum. How old are your older snakes - is it really so unusual to have a snake over 10?

I had a similar situation last year. My beardie had to get some antibiotics and they said he's the oldest one on their books, he's 13!

Its not unusual no, your vet is a dud.

Not the first time I've heard that in relation to that vet, since mentioning I'd visited him. I'm glad to hear older snakes are around. I'd also be interested to hear about any care/nutrition changes in older snakes (and at what point a snake starts showing sings of 'ageing' or being considered Old), from people who know such things, or whether you continue as usual.

Signs of Ageing:

- Grey Hair
- Walking Frame
- Alzheimers

... oh you meant in reptiles. Nevermind

i dont think calling his vet a dud is very accurate, we dont know the full context of what he said.
he "may" have meant he dosnt see them that old, an indication that alot of people get them, keep them
till the cool effect has worn off and when their not the coolest of their friends then they sell them not going back
to said vet therefore hes not used to seeing them that old.
a sweeping statement of being a dud is a little harsh since we dont know the context of the statement.

no... he is just no longer a breeder
Cool, thanks.:)

get a new vet...

I have, but I haven't (touch wood!) needed one since visiting the last one. The last one also told me that Fabs was overweight, which surprised me since I thought he was in great condition. I cut his food back, and he became a snappy, horrid little monster for the first time in his life, started biting me when I handled him. I was a bit worried and spoke to someone else about it who said no wonder, the diet this guy recommended was basically starving my snake, who looked just fine and wasn't overweight at all. I wouldn't go back to that first vet after that.:/

Maybe that's why he doesn't see many old snakes...people don't take their reptiles back to him.

Last edited:
I love reading about the age of some of the peoples animals on here. I've had a couple animals that were 10+yrs of age, but my oldest from a hatchling, and my pride and joy is my Darwin python @ 8yrs old. I absolutely love that snake :D

Anthony stimson has a 22 year old death adder 'my oldest snake is about 12 to 15
but the most amazing age ive heard for a reptile was when i was speaking to Peter Harlow ,curator of Reptiles Taronga zoo and he says he has a Cunninghams Skink he got at an AHS meeting in 1967 when he was a boy.He still has the lizard and has complete records all that time.

I was reading in "Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons about a pygmy python.
I quote ' Previously the oldest recorded A.perthensis in captivity was 16 years (Barker and Barker 1994). To my knowledge the oldest animal now in captivity is one maintained in WA by a wildlife carer. The animal was found as a road victim by a truck driver in 1978 and had lost it's right eye and had upper palate damage. The specimen was brought to Perth Zoo and transferred to a Conservation and Land Management (C.A.L.M.) officer for recovery until 1982 and was then transferred to the Reptile Rehabilitation and Rescue Centre. The animal died in November 2002 after attempting to produce a clutch of eggs (not intentional by keepers). When originally found the animal was fully grown and estimated to be between 5-10 years old. At death the animal had been in captivity for 24 years and was estimated to be 29-34 years old.' unquote.

Last edited by a moderator:
My old Bluey wasn't a snake, but I got him in '04 at the age of 9... he died in '09, so he was 14.

but the most amazing age ive heard for a reptile was when i was speaking to Peter Harlow ,curator of Reptiles Taronga zoo and he says he has a Cunninghams Skink he got at an AHS meeting in 1967 when he was a boy.He still has the lizard and has complete records all that time.

That's a fabulous age! Specially as the internet seems to think that Cunninghams only live 20-30 years.

I was reading in "Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons about a pygmy python.
I quote ' Previously the oldest recorded A.perthensis in captivity was 16 years (Barker and Barker 1994). To my knowledge the oldest animal now in captivity is one maintained in WA by a wildlife carer. The animal was found as a road victim by a truck driver in 1978 and had lost it's right eye and had upper palate damage. The specimen was brought to Perth Zoo and transferred to a Conservation and Land Management (C.A.L.M.) officer for recovery until 1982 and was then transferred to the Reptile Rehabilitation and Rescue Centre. The animal died in November 2002 after attempting to produce a clutch of eggs (not intentional by keepers). When originally found the animal was fully grown and estimated to be between 5-10 years old. At death the animal had been in captivity for 24 years and was estimated to be 29-34 years old.' unquote.

It's really heartening hearing this, and I just found a reference in an older thread to a lovely-sounding olive python matriarch who died at about 30. It gives me hope for my own snakes; I want to keep them around as long as possible.

not a snake but there is a lace monitor at Bredl's reptile park that would be at least 50 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back