How to build my own Enclosure???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

seksyjinke

Reaction score
I thought i might get my hands dirty and give woodcraft a go...heading to bunnings tommorrow and work on an enclosure... it will defiantely bring me closer to my first snake if i'd make a enclosure for him/her and see it wiggle inside it :)

i was just wondering, has anyone built their enclosure and how did it go? what infomation can you give to a begiiner like me? what odd info i should be aware of..

such as: what wood, what dimension, what not to apply to the wood (e.g. poisonus stuff) etc

Its only little at 7month old.. but when it gets a little bigger in months time.. i will upgrade from the plastic case to a wooden one with light.

i used the search button but didnt really get me anywhere so i youtubed... this is a video i saw and i think it would be a sturdy enclosure to build and definately a good project for a beginner (last time i did wood work was back in highschool, i made a breadboard) LOL

[video=youtube;v5UEUiW94CU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5UEUiW94CU[/video]

What help do you need?
how big is the enclosure?
What are you making it from?
what are you planing to put in it?

its very easy to do.

iv just started mine, the thing you have to get right are the measurements and make sure everything is in proportion.

for wood, malemime is your best bet, as its cheap, easy to work with and looks good.

im also making the front screen to be made out of perspex, as im having it fixed (opening hinge at the top) so it isnt as easy to break as glass.

the hardest part of building it is getting the darn light fitting in!

its very easy to do.

iv just started mine, the thing you have to get right are the measurements and make sure everything is in proportion.

for wood, malemime is your best bet, as its cheap, easy to work with and looks good.

im also making the front screen to be made out of perspex, as im having it fixed (opening hinge at the top) so it isnt as easy to break as glass.

the hardest part of building it is getting the darn light fitting in!

thank you...

i'll go have a look at malemime wood tomorrow @ bunnings...

kensai,

in term of size, what would you recommend?

currently its in a plastic case and at 7month old... its 400mm long atm

when would be a good time to upgrade the enclosure? and what is the recomended size for a spotted python?

Perspex scratches very easily, 5-6 mm Glass is pretty tough, heavy though

I would definitely use 5-6mm glass instead of perspex. The fun part is getting the measurements right to fit in the tracking etc. Also get all the edges bevelled by the glass man so it doesn't cut into the tracking and is also easy to handle.
Maybe for a first go it might be better to make an enclosure that opens at the top, on a hinge. Then you need to think about where to put light etc.
You ever thought about making an enclosure out of an old cabinet or drawers?
Anyways all the best and I hope it all goes well, have a search around on the forums, there is definitely good advice/ideas around somewhere here.

find an old cabinent and convert it, its alot easier to do for you first, but dont use perspex, scratches easy and gets really dirty.

l have a couple of enclosures that open at the top , they are ok until you want to stack them , opps . Or if you put them up on a table or chest of drawers , you have to be double jointed to get your arm inside to clean , feed or change a bulb . This means removing the glass a lot . Sliding glass in the front is practical , easier and cheaper .

checklist:

1) lots of malemime wood peices
2) sink strainers (used for vents, highly recommended in some threads)
3) What type of prime to use on the outside?

would i need to buff it so its nice and smooth? or does it come smooth?

Seriously, just buy one already made. You think " This will be great! I'll do something with my own hands and save some money too!" (I know i did) but it turns into a complete nightmare if you don't know how to use the tools properly :oops: mines turned out looking completely crap and wished i just bought one haha!

Why are people telling her not to build, Its up to her and she should be allowed to try it out,

I build all mine and have alot lol,

Your best bet is melamine, dont get it cut at bunnings they are hopeless and it wont be square go to a locale wood supplie shop they will cut it all to size then all you have to do is put it together, for vents just buy those little vents from bunnings their like 12.5x7.5 or something I think, you can get glass rails, glass locks and everything else at bunnings as well.

Seriously, just buy one already made. You think " This will be great! I'll do something with my own hands and save some money too!" (I know i did) but it turns into a complete nightmare if you don't know how to use the tools properly :oops: mines turned out looking completely crap and wished i just bought one haha!

Where can i find one thats already made?

im looking for a 85cmx 45cm x 45xcm that is blackish so it will match my tall boy...

dont think i will find one to that exact dimension..

Why are people telling her not to build, Its up to her and she should be allowed to try it out,

You're right =p i'm just sharing experience and saying that if you aren't so experienced with using some of the tools you might need to use depending on your design then it might turn out pretty crappy.

Where can i find one thats already made?

im looking for a 85cmx 45cm x 45xcm that is blackish so it will match my tall boy...

dont think i will find one to that exact dimension..

Plenty of people on this forum custom make enclosures.

try looking for an old cabinet or bookcase from a second hand shop. you can still do adjustments yourself e.g. lightfittings, glass front, rock background. you will still feel proud and at least you will have a shell to start from.

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back