How to build my own Enclosure???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the best advice is measure twice and cut once.

but seriously give it a go and if you fail then you know that it wasn't for you but you would have tried =) if you have any questions there are loads of helpful people on here that will give you a hand. just don't pay attention to the ones that discourage you.

just my 2 cents =), Enjoy

making your own enclosure is great but be aware that it really is quite the same amount of cost as having a custom one made especially if you go for one of the more generic styles out there and then you have to factor in the time taken to do the job and also having the right equipement .I had most of the tools before i decided to make my own so could look at just the price of materials and then just the time factor.Quite difficult to do square straight cuts without some sort of table saw and as for counter sinking screws properly sealing the board electrics glass work it can get a bit daunting if you havent had much experiance.
If you are going ahead doing it yourself ask your mates if they have any skills in that department and get a hand if you went for raw pine there is still alote of time and involvement in the finishing of the timber ie varnishing and so on ,so you would certainly be able to add your own personal touch to the job and make it your own .Have you considered just upsizing your tube to suit your needs you should look at the longer than taller tubs as they seem to help maintain the thermal gradient i reckon sure they dont look all that great but are cheap and provide your snake with what it needs as its still growing goodluck
Ps stairmaid tubs have 10,20,30,litre tubs gives you time to decide on style and type of enclosure for the future:)

making your own enclosure is great but be aware that it really is quite the same amount of cost as having a custom one made especially if you go for one of the more generic styles out there and then you have to factor in the time taken to do the job and also having the right equipement .I had most of the tools before i decided to make my own so could look at just the price of materials and then just the time factor.Quite difficult to do square straight cuts without some sort of table saw and as for counter sinking screws properly sealing the board electrics glass work it can get a bit daunting if you havent had much experiance.
If you are going ahead doing it yourself ask your mates if they have any skills in that department and get a hand if you went for raw pine there is still alote of time and involvement in the finishing of the timber ie varnishing and so on ,so you would certainly be able to add your own personal touch to the job and make it your own .Have you considered just upsizing your tube to suit your needs you should look at the longer than taller tubs as they seem to help maintain the thermal gradient i reckon sure they dont look all that great but are cheap and provide your snake with what it needs as its still growing goodluck
Ps stairmaid tubs have 10,20,30,litre tubs gives you time to decide on style and type of enclosure for the future:)

i agree.. i got given an enclosure that opened up from the top and just had the glass in, it was made out of an old melamine bench. we put the vents in and thermostat and light fittings and a uv.. i think its cool if you wanna built but i think when you really get into it its a bit hard to just do everything if youve never done it before. my dad can help me out so if you can find someone to help you its even better and the end result is what you want. also have you tried looking at enclosures in petshops that you can stain to the colour you want to match your room i also suggest ebay there is a guy who sells brand new cheap enclosures on there.. we brought one and its fantastic :) and plenty of people on here make custom ones :)

the best advice is measure twice and cut once.

but seriously give it a go and if you fail then you know that it wasn't for you but you would have tried =) if you have any questions there are loads of helpful people on here that will give you a hand. just don't pay attention to the ones that discourage you.

just my 2 cents =), Enjoy

thank you..

i will give it a go..

heres what ive draw on paint :) just to give ppl some idea of what im going to attempt to do and most likely faill

Attachments

• enclosure draft.JPG
    enclosure draft.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 95
thanks ruby... pet shop is fail here.. ive been to 5.. only 1 sold digital thermomiters... fail fail fail

just chill girl....i know that you are excited about your new pet and want only the best for it now. i was also guilty of the same thing when i first bought my hatchlings, i went and bought in Ebay a URS glass terrarium the following week. no regrets but i was definitely guilty of impulse buying a lot of things that werent necessary at the time(eg-large hooks, large hides, 3 water bowls, fancy backgrounds).
spotteds arent big snakes anyway and yours is only 7 months old so you still have at least 6 months if not more before you have to seriously have to consider upgrading to a bigger enclosure from what its in now(my guess is 7 lt plastic clickclack/container you got given when you bought your snake)so take your time and think things thru before commiting to such big projects.
and if your like me and just want to show the world your new pet and if he's the only snake your ever going to own and considering he's never going to be really big then i would consider an all glass terrarium, ebay has them and URS. they cojme in all different sizes and it makes better looking furniture that a wooden enclosure, you just have to make sure you appropriate heating as glass doesnt hold heat well..
all the best in whatever you decide to do,just take your time..

I agree. But if u get the melamine cut to size at bunnings you dont have to worry about sanding/cutting. For a spotted you dont want to go to big/small. MIne are in 600mmL by 400mW and 250mmH cages. After its cut just put it together and put your heat source. USe a combo (light/mat) it works better than a heat light and if the globe blows you still have a mat running. Khagan i know i tried last year to make a rack but the cages i made now are soo much better. Practice makes perfect.;)
Seriously, just buy one already made. You think " This will be great! I'll do something with my own hands and save some money too!" (I know i did) but it turns into a complete nightmare if you don't know how to use the tools properly :oops: mines turned out looking completely crap and wished i just bought one haha!

Starmaid 10L tubs will hold a hatchy for a year easy. Newspaper for bedding a ceramic dog bowl for water and exo terra hide and a piece of slate is all you need.

i agree with that.. but its good to start now... so i can have approximately 5 month to finish this project :)

Jesus how many snakes r gonna b in there? Dat will hold a trio i think?? Correct me if i am wrong. I am sure he will love it!
thank you..

i will give it a go..

heres what ive draw on paint :) just to give ppl some idea of what im going to attempt to do and most likely faill

reason why its 80 by 45 by 45 is it will snuggly sit on my tall boy and be eye level with me :)

what length do you recommend for 1 spotted python when it gets bigger??? keep in mind it must be 45 by 45 for height and width...

80 is perfectly fine. If he's going to be the only one the extra room won't hurt at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back