How to freeze rats in a humane way ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

darkness

Not so new Member
Reaction score
As subject says, am thinking of breeding my own rats, but whats the most humane way to kill them for freezing ?

I dont like the idea of killing anything :( but with the amount of money to be saved its hard not to consider it.

Also, how long will rats keep in the freezer ?

Thanks.
John.

good luck getting a simple answer on that. I just put them in a containerand freeze them alive. I've tried knocking them on the head I don't really like that way as sometimes they don't die the first time.

The most humane way would be with carbon dioxide, but i don't know where you would get it or the equipment associated with it.

I believe the shelf life on a frozen rat is about 12 months. With the best time to use them being between 3-6 months, as after 3 months all the nasties will have died off. JMO.

if thats what u do duke, and u wont knock em off another way, start buying them. it's a slow painful death, just cruel

not many ppl have seen rats gassed but its a not a slow eyes rolling into the back of the head type thing. they choke for about 10 seconds before falling into a coma.

the quickest and best way to kill a rat is to grab it by the tail and whack its head on a hard surface. its quick and if done properly pain free to an extent. most ppl who can't do this (and freeze them) arent killing them humanely.

as far as storage goes, if you keep them in airtight containers/bags at least 6 months. probably longer.

I agree with basket on all points! Freezing live is just downright shameful. I turf any of my rats that have not been used by 6 months.
The flick and brick method is my method of choice and is very quick and relatively painless as by the time they think "ouch" they are deceased, you know, ex rats.

A whack on the back of the head is the go.

Make sure you have a very solid surface and use more "force" than you think you will need until you know how little is required. Very soon you will know exactly what is required to get an instant kill and know from the "jerking" that you have done it right.

I knock mine on the back of the neck ,as long as you do it rite there will be no pain and suffering for the animal but for those of you who feel bad about doing this it is easy to construct a gas chamber out of a tub or rubish bin and use a mixture of bi-carb and vinegar to create the gas.I dont know exactly how to do it but i know Cwarren 72 on this site uses this method so he mite be able to explain in more detail.
swampie

my neighbour breeds her own rats and kills them using dry ice. it is humane and really really cheap. Hope that helps and welcome to the site :)

The most humane way to kill them is a gas container using carbon monoxide gas. It binds irreversibly to the haemoglobin and the animals don't choke or panic as the body measures the need for oxygen based on the carbon dioxide present in the lungs. (Even when you breathe out completely you still have air in your lungs).

The drawback to the carbon monoxide is that it's about ten times more expensive than Carbon dioxide gas. My aunt is a PHD vet and uses this method for gassing animals for autopsy classes and says she won't even use carbon dioxide. The animal will not panic or stress it will just lie down fall asleep and then die.

Carbon dioxide (dry ice) suffocates the animal so its not really very humane, better than freezing alive though.

Best method but much more expensive.
Cheap method is to crack them over the head.

Oh yeah, welcome to the site.

Carbon monoxide being the best method though expensive. Didn't make it very clear before.

Actually, the most humane way, next to carbon monoxide, according to animal protection organizations such as the RSPCA, is too squeeze the rodents brain out through the back of the skull. Instant death and no pain... Dont do it unless you know how, though.. If you do it the wrong way, obviously you are going to cause the animal considerable pain. Your vet should know how to do it, so next time you see them ask them too show you.

For gods sake, DONT FREEZE THEM!!! Are you aware Duke, that the bloodvessels burst while the animal is still alive when you freeze them? It is obviously very painful, and takes a very long time. If you dont have the balls to squeeze out their brains, or knock them against a wall (lets face it: most of us dont! I used to hate it, but now it doesnt bother me because I now know it is the most humane way) invest in carbon monoxide.. If you dont have the money to set an appropiate chamber up, you are cruel.

Ack !

Guess Ill keep buying mine pre-frozen.. I couldnt bring myself to wack em or gas em.. and freezing alive.. errggg

Thanks for the info guys ! but Ill just keep on buying them.

Damn im such a wuss :)

I've been using carbon dioxide as I thought carbon monoxide was poisonous and passes this on to the snake. I may be a tad confused but isn't carbon monoxide the gas that comes out of your vehicles exhaust. I knock rodents before feeding or if in low numbers before freezing. I usually only gas when I have 30+ to freeze. Interested in the Dioxide/Monoxide thingy.

I purchase my gas from BOC Gas outlet centres in NSW, don't know about other states though.

We use CO2 (food quality) to gas them, when I am just feeding our own, I knock them on the back of the head.

We found that gassing (when we are doing a lot) is very humane, they just go to sleep!

We get it from BOC gases, you have to may a monthly rental on the cylinder, buy some gadget that regulates the gas, (costs nearly $200.00) and pay when the cylinder needs refilling.

But we think it was worth it!!!! Less stressful for the rats, mice and ourselves!!

Fay

Im sure that carbon monoxide leaves a toxic residue.? Frezzing any live animal reptiles included is dam right cruel. The blood freezes in the vains befor death and is incredibally painful.
Go the tail and brick trick.

The version I read on a web site about euthanasing with CO2 seemed humane :?...the way they work it is so that you only pump a very small amount into the top of a container which then slowly drifts down (as CO2 is heavier than O2) and they fall asleep. Then you pump a larger amount into the bottom of the container while they are already asleep which kills them. I think it's because it drifts down slowly that they go to sleep before suffocating. Correct me if I got any of that wrong...that's how I remember it anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back