How to freeze rats in a humane way ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jenny said:
A few people I know just use BBQ gas. And before anyone says anything about toxic this and toxic that, you use it to cook your own food! All it does is just displace oxygen, thus leading to suffocation. Same as CO2 and CO.
Would you really feed your snakes a rat that contained lungs full of propane? CO2 and CO are non toxic and a lung full of that won't do any harm.

Propane is non toxic as well. If it was toxic do you think it would be safe to cook human food with? Of course not. Infact you can access MSDS for BBQ gas (Propane/Nitrogen mix) on the web.
It is as bad as CO2 and CO.

Stiffler said:
Propane is non toxic as well. If it was toxic do you think it would be safe to cook human food with? Of course not. Infact you can access MSDS for BBQ gas (Propane/Nitrogen mix) on the web.
It is as bad as CO2 and CO.

CO2 and CO are both components of air. We ingest them all the time in varying degrees but propane is not something the body is used to dealing with. Cooking food on a BBQ burns the gas, it doesn't saturate it with it and therefore, there is no ingestion.

Symptoms of propane ingestion:

* body as a whole
- fever
- weakness
- convulsions
- pains in arms and legs
- numbness in arms and legs
- burning sensations
* respiratory (if inhaled into the lungs)
- cough
- slow and shallow breathing
* skin exposure
- irritation
- burns possible if prolonged contact occurred
* gastrointestinal
- nausea
- vomiting
- diarrhea
* heart and blood vessels
- rapid heartbeat
- irregular heart rate
* nervous system
- unconsciousness
- nervousness
- dizziness

That's taken from http://health.allrefer.com/health/propane-info.html

or go to

http://www.npga.org/files/public/Tech_Bulletin_NPGA_210-96.pdf

and read the materials safety sheet. It says, if ingested: seek immediate medical treatment.

or got to

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/encyclopedia/p/pr/propane.htm

where it lists the symptoms of propane ingestions as nausea, vomiting, internal hemorrhage.

Anyway, I have emailed AGL and asked them about using propane to kill prey items that will be fed whole. If they ever stop laughing at my question about gassing rats and mice and actually answer me, I will post the reply.

I am not sure why you choose not to believe me Jenny, but let's look at the info you supplied first. The MSDS you supplied uner the heading Toxicological Information states : "Propane is NON-TOXIC and is a simple asphyxiant" and shows no toxic problems with any of the different tests stated below that. In fact it even states in the paragraph under it that it is NOT a marine pollutant either.
Also in section 15 in the last paragraph it states :"Generally accepted as safe as a direct human food ingredient when used as a propellant, aerating agent and gas."

The most interesting thing in the whole MSDS sheet is where it says under reactivity "When used as an engine fuel, incomplete combustion can cause carbon monoxide (CO), a TOXIC gas.
So infact CO is more toxic than Propane.

The list of Symptions you listed is the exactly same symptions you would get with ANY asphyxiant incl. Co2 and Co and Nitrogen and Ozone etc.......
And for the record I actually work for a chemical company and I have had over 7 years of chemical training.
Infact if you looked hard enough you would find that even water at high levels will kill humans. It's called drowning and the symptions are a hell of alot worse than those you listed above for propane. :roll:

Our last fill cost us $46.51. That lasts for ages! Then there is annual bottle rental. I think that is about $90 or so. Seeing that we only have a few rats and mice breeding for our snakes, I think we are going to let a mate of ours use the bottle for his home brew kegs, and then hand it back in. Dave's going to use the wack and pack method. Personally I couldn't do it. Ewwww!!! Cheers Cheryl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back