How to get Albino pythons

Discussion in 'Australian Snakes' started by Tetras, Jun 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tetras

    Tetras Active Member

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2007
    Messages:
    106
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Mildura VIC
    Hey everyone.
    Curious on how albino pythons come about?
    Is it possible to intentionally breed an albino?
    Or is it just mainly pot luck that they miss the pigmentation...

    Cheers
     
  2. No-two

    No-two Very Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2008
    Messages:
    2,326
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Melbourne.
    Most come from wild caught animals, others can be fluke breedings; i.e parents are unknown hets
    Yes, bred albino x albino:p:lol:
     
  3. ADZz_93

    ADZz_93 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2008
    Messages:
    480
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    victoria
    im not 100% sure, but i think it depends in the pigment genes of each of the snakes parents, and if your snake/s have the gene, then it is possible to get an albino hachie..... as i said, im not 100%, plese correct me if I'm wrong :)
     
  4. Tetras

    Tetras Active Member

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2007
    Messages:
    106
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Mildura VIC
    ah okay thanks for the replies.
    I really like the look of albino's, just dont have the moneys to buy one unfortunatly
     
  5. CraigColeman

    CraigColeman Not so new Member

    Joined:
    May 11, 2009
    Messages:
    17
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    South Sydney
    Hi mate, albinism is a hypopygmentary disorder that is a genetic trait and requires to be genetically inherited from the parents. It is a recessive gene, so both parents must carry it for the offspring to be albino. Becasue it is recessive a parent can carry the gene and not be albino, it is called a het.
    Depending on weather you breed 2 hets together, or a het and albino will dictate how many of the babies are albino or het.

    There is alot more to it than that... but thats the basics. The chance of breeding two random animals together and getting an albino is extremely rare, probably like being hit by lightning
     
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  6. Tetras

    Tetras Active Member

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2007
    Messages:
    106
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Mildura VIC
    wow, thanks craig.
    Ill start my search for a couple of hets, as they look like they might be cheaper than a pure albino
     
  7. wokka

    wokka Guest

    Het females are generally about 40% of the price of an albino female. Het males are normally about 20% of the price of albino males. Male albinos are normally dearer than females as you can mate them with more than one female.
    Olives this year achieved $3000 for male hets; $4000 for female hets; $10,000 for female albinos; $15,000 for male albinos.
    For Carpets male hets $1000; female hets $1500.; Male Albinos $5000; Female albinos $4000.
     
  8. jessb

    jessb Very Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2007
    Messages:
    2,336
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Northern Beaches, Sydney
    If you're a gamblin' man, there is always the option of getting "possible hets" (from a het x het mating???) which are cheaper still!
     
  9. JDWest

    JDWest Not so new Member

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2009
    Messages:
    55
    Likes Received:
    0
    I thought the gene skips a generation with Albino snakes, so the parent's hatch lings wont be albino but their hatch lings will be. Guess i was wrong lol, but indeed, beautiful snakes.
     
  10. Jimbobulan

    Jimbobulan Active Member

    Joined:
    May 31, 2009
    Messages:
    227
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Geelong
    Is that how it works for all creatures? My frogs recently bred white tadpoles (not sure if they're albino though, havn't morphed yet) and i dont think theres any history of it in their other sibling, parents etc.
     
  11. oreo1

    oreo1 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2009
    Messages:
    416
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Sunshine Coast
    as said previously, a heterozygous gene must be carried by both parents to guarantee albino hatchlings. the produced offspring can be represented as followed:
    normal = B (dominant gene)
    albino = b (recessive gene)

    eg.

    1.BB x BB (normal x normal)
    = BB, BB, BB, BB (100% chance of normal)

    2. BB x Bb (normal x normal - one carrying recessive gene)
    = BB, Bb, BB, Bb (100% chance normal)

    3. Bb x Bb (normal x normal - both carrying recessive gene)
    = BB, Bb, Bb, bb (75% chance normal, 25% chance albino)

    4. bb x Bb (albino x normal)
    = Bb, bb, Bb, bb (50% normal, 50% albino)

    5. BB x bb (completely normal x albino)
    = Bb, Bb, Bb, Bb (100% normal however all are carriers of the recessive albino gene)

    6. bb x bb (albino x albino)
    = bb, bb, bb, bb (100% albino)

    sorry if i got carried away but hey, you asked how albinos came about!:p
     
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  12. Cabotinage

    Cabotinage Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2009
    Messages:
    629
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Niagara Park NSW
    were leanring about genes in science at the moment

    oreo1 is that the punnet chart? (i think thats what u call it )
     
  13. whiteyluvsrum

    whiteyluvsrum Very Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2006
    Messages:
    1,983
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    townsville
    some white paint
     
  14. ihaveherps

    ihaveherps Suspended Banned

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2005
    Messages:
    939
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    sydney
    White King baby.....
     
  15. chondrogreen

    chondrogreen Suspended Banned

    Joined:
    May 25, 2008
    Messages:
    641
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Sydney Australia
    There have been many white tadpoles born that get colour just before morphing.
    No idea why this happens though. I guess you will have to wait to see how they turn out.
     
  16. oreo1

    oreo1 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2009
    Messages:
    416
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Sunshine Coast
    yeppa, it is a punnet chart. have just learnt about genetics in the biology course im taking:phehe
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page