how to handle agressive?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mightymike

Reaction score
hey guys, just wondering how people go about handeling big snakes that like to constrict alot? any tips...?

my new jungle gets a good grip sometimes, not sure the best way to remove the snake without it trying to bite and to avoid hurting the snake or making the situation worse?

yesterday i was havin trouble gettin it off my wrist, so i put a tshirt over its head and grabbed it behind the head and slowy tried to unwind it off me.... was that the right thing to do??

prevent it from wrapping to tight around you in the first place....

or, if its a little snake, which it probably is because it bites, Endure it!! feeel the pain!!

its a little bite,it could be worse....

Use a hook and avoid handling if possible

really? dont know if i could bring myself to never handle such a beautiful animal, its a decent handler but because it was bought from a shop it wasnt handled much, i think it just constricts when its had enough after about 20-30 mins...

i just want to know the safest way to untangle myself

i think it just constricts when its had enough after about 20-30 mins...

There's your answer, one of mine will not tolerate more than ten minutes before constricting tight. While you enjoy the feeling of the snake in your hand, he's working out a way to get free and then setting about laying down the law as to who's boss.

The safest way to untangle is usually from the tail, with the help of another set of hands if you're worried about being tagged.

There's your answer, one of mine will not tolerate more than ten minutes before constricting tight. While you enjoy the feeling of the snake in your hand, he's working out a way to get free and then setting about laying down the law as to who's boss.

The safest way to untangle is usually from the tail, with the help of another set of hands if you're worried about being tagged.

thanks diamond, good answer

one of my guys is an angry boy but if he constricts without biting then i simply give him access to his branch and he usually unwinds himself as he climbs back into his enclosure, my arm has gone blue a few times :)

dont handle it for so long . handle it for five minutes put it back and then move on to the next snake make sure you have lots of snakes tho.

Just remain completely still, don't fight the constriction and don't touch the snake or try to uncoil it. Once it is relaxed it will release its grip. Just put your arm into its enclosure and as soon as it is relaxed it should move off your arm and into its enclosure of its own free will.

20 to 30 minutes seems an awfully long time to be handling a snake (to me), I wouldn't handle mine for any more than 5 at a time. If you want to handle it more, perhaps shorter stints and more frequent would be thanswer. Remember though that you don't know how the snake really feels, you could be imposing yourself on it to a point of stress. Think about the animal and why it is behaving this way. Prevention is always better than cure. Just my opinion though.

The longer i hold mine the faster she gets trying to escape. She only tolerates about 5 mins at max but doesnt bite unless i miss feeding day. My own stupid fault really.:oops:

Hi,

Spary it with a bit of water (from a spary bottle) if it's little big won't really work, it works the same fro bitting i don't have a snake thats just what a snake hadler that lives near me does, don't know if it will work on yours. the reson the spray work is becasue it goes 'Oh whats that it gets distrated loseness up them you can un wind it.

Hope it helped

As previously pointed out unwind from the tail first and I usually restrain the head with the hand of the arm hats being constricted giving me one toally free hand to unwind the snake. With regards to handling duration this will vary from snake to snake and they will generally let you know when they've had enough by becoming restless.

20 to 30 minutes seems an awfully long time to be handling a snake (to me), I wouldn't handle mine for any more than 5 at a time. .

really depends on the snake.
i sometimes have my 16month old darwin female out for 2 hours
she curls up on the lounge next to me, on my leg or around my neck while i'm watching tv.

Yeh depends on the snake my yearling jungle can stay out for hours if he's in a good mood he will even coil up on the lounge floor and just relax there, and he is my first snake wldnt trade him for the world even though he has tagged me a cple of times just part of owning a snake i was more shocked then it hurt

lol i dont really care about handeling snakes no matter what size lol.. but i have been bitten and constricted.. dont want that happening again lol!

Spary it with a bit of water (from a spary bottle) if it's little big won't really work, it works the same fro bitting i don't have a snake thats just what a snake hadler that lives near me does, don't know if it will work on yours. the reson the spray work is becasue it goes 'Oh whats that it gets distrated loseness up them you can un wind it..

Or you could not stress it even more than it already is by:
-sticking your hand in its enclosure and waiting for him to uncoil himself
-gently unwrap him starting for the tail
-don't hold him for that long if that is when he starts to get irritated

really? dont know if i could bring myself to never handle such a beautiful animal, its a decent handler but because it was bought from a shop it wasnt handled much, i think it just constricts when its had enough after about 20-30 mins...

i just want to know the safest way to untangle myself

Put the snake away after 10 minutes and you should be fine if it only does it after 20 mins , it may have just had enough / feeling stressed ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back