How to setup a gecko incubation tub?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptile_Maniac

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

My female Northern Velvet Gecko is about to lay any day now. How do I set up the incubation tub. I have an exo terra incubator valued at $390. I have decided I am going to use a mixture of 50/50 perlite. The temperature I am supposed to incubate them in is 28 degrees please correct me if im wrong. What type of tub should I use and how many holes should that tub contain?

Cheers,
James

Hey everyone,

My female Northern Velvet Gecko is about to lay any day now. How do I set up the incubation tub. I have an exo terra incubator valued at $390. I have decided I am going to use a mixture of 50/50 perlite. The temperature I am supposed to incubate them in is 28 degrees please correct me if im wrong. What type of tub should I use and how many holes should that tub contain?

Cheers,
James

Any tub about the size of a small tub of butter will be fine, no holes.
With that incubator make sure you have a separate thermometer as the reading on the display is always a few degrees out, also expect it to fluctuate by a few degrees so set it up in advance so you have time to tweak it.

Cheers Josh. Once the eggs are in the incubation tub do I have to do anything to them? Or do I let them be till they hatch?

You will need to open the lid (30 secs or so) to allow fresh oxygen into the tub every 7-10 days.
The tub may lose moisture during incubation so I weigh mine at the start and check the weight about half way through.

You will need to open the lid (30 secs or so) to allow fresh oxygen into the tub every 7-10 days.
The tub may lose moisture during incubation so I weigh mine at the start and check the weight about half way through.

Thanks for the info! If the tub does loose moisture what should I do? All you mentioned I should open the tub every 7-10 days why not every 8 days, 9 days etc?

I open mine when the eggs go in and maybe once or twice (if they are lucky) during incubation to check on them.
I have also hatched dozens of them without airing them at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back