How to stop large rocks being moved in an enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Endeavour

Reaction score
I would like to place a number of large rocks on top of each other in the corner of an enclosure to create a feature however I am concerned that if the rocks are just placed on top of each other slippage could result in injury to the snake. My question is what can I do to prevent this?. I thought of drilling the rocks and using some type of steel rod to secure them together. Any ideas would be great.

Kindest regards

Endeavour

Have you considered a neutral cure silicone?

Possibly use a grinder on the bottom sides of the rocks to form a good flat spot so they stack well and fit in together with minimal movement and gaps, or drill in and use use a rod as an anchor point....

I've never had the issue, but only because I have a tawny dragon that weighs nothing. The risk with drilling rocks is that the customization of them may be limited afterward. I'm honestly not too sure but I'd stay away from anything that involves chemicals, super glue or whatever etc. I don't have a good answer as all the rocks I use have only been in cichlid tanks or very small species of lizards' enclosures, something for a snake however, it's good to know you think about the pros & cons. Shows you're a good owner! :)

One thing I do have in mind, not sure if it'd ever work & it may rely on the rocks leaning against the enclosure, is to use double-sided foam adhesive tape; but I'm talking the really really small sizes of it. I received 2 for my Exoterra thermometer & hygrometer, & the stuff is very strong, definitely good enough to hold two rocks together, to a limit however.

Drilling two holes in two opposing rocks and fitting a steel rod in between them sounds like a good bet. I'd imagine you would want to be able to remove the rocks if needed so you wouldn't want something that permanently joins them together?

I would recommend a perusal of Incan stonework. Sort/ shape your rocks to interlock jigsaw style.

Makes no difference to our bhp. He moves the furniture to suit him.

I used clear aquarium silicone to secure the rocks in my leopard geckos enclosure. It took a wile but it looks good and you can't see the silicone at all. I left it in the cage with the heat in the enclosure running for a week to make sure the smell was gone. There is always a risk if you just stack rocks, no matter how well stacked they are.

Thanks for all the replies I think possibly drilling and pinning might be the best option as this would enable me to take the display apart.

Kindest regards

Endeavour

I've never had the issue, but only because I have a tawny dragon that weighs nothing. The risk with drilling rocks is that the customization of them may be limited afterward. I'm honestly not too sure but I'd stay away from anything that involves chemicals, super glue or whatever etc. I don't have a good answer as all the rocks I use have only been in cichlid tanks or very small species of lizards' enclosures, something for a snake however, it's good to know you think about the pros & cons. Shows you're a good owner! :)

One thing I do have in mind, not sure if it'd ever work & it may rely on the rocks leaning against the enclosure, is to use double-sided foam adhesive tape; but I'm talking the really really small sizes of it. I received 2 for my Exoterra thermometer & hygrometer, & the stuff is very strong, definitely good enough to hold two rocks together, to a limit however.

Don't, under ANY circumstances, use tape of any kind in any reptile enclosure. Regardless of how small the pieces are, if the rocks become separated and the tape exposed, you'll have a major disaster just waiting to happen. There are many threads on APS where snakes (in particular) have become caught up in or on tape which has been placed in the enclosure. It can easily cause serious injury or the death of your animal.

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back