Humidity Help!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gabim

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Need a bit of help on humidity. Just built an enclosure 6.5ft tall for my diamond and it is great, however it is a hard job to try and keep the humidity between 60-70% I have plants in there and mist the enlosure 3-4 times a day. I have tried larger water bowl, wet substrate (moss) and still it rises to about 70 and then settles on 50. Do ya all think that 50% is ok for a diamond. I have heard that they don't need such high humidity. Any help appreciated! :?:

I would say 50's ok. If you have your enclosure at above 70 all the time, it will grow bactieria and you'll have a sick snake. If you want to, you could just put in a "humidi box" with something like moss as a substrate for humidity so the snake can go in there if he wants to.
IMO
Simon

gabim, I'd agree with simon, 50% should be fine for a diamond. You may need to bump it up around shedding time, just spraying the snake 5 or 6 times a day when it is due to shed may do the job. Diamonds are found around the sydeny region and humidity in that area varied between 30-90% with an average (I would guess) of about 60%

:p hiya gabim,i have a few enclosures that i run at 70% and dont have things growing anywhere.i have found if you have to much air flow this can cuase the humidity to not raise as you would like it.but as said b4 diamonds are probably ok at 50% you may just need an extra waterbowl round shed time if that dont work block a vent see if it works. :p

My Diamond had a perfect shed, just yesterday and the humidity has been hovering around the 53?.54 mark in my enclosure over the last few days. 8)

I agree with Artie. My enclosure for Snap! (sister to Ruby) has settled down to about the same humidity level. I do know that Snap! swims in her water bowl most nights. This may indicate the humidity is a bit low but I tend to think not - It;s about the same as the main room and every shed she does is perfect.

:lol: Thanks everyone! Will try the 50%. It's great to have a place where you can ask other people who have snakes and get their opinions. Have only had Ricky (diamond) for 1.5 months but everything is going so well I think I want to get some more snakes - they are great pets! Gabi

What on earth do you mean Gab? You think you want to get some more snakes? You KNOW you want to get some more snakes!! :)

Gabim,

Try halving the number of vents that you have eg if you have 2 vents cover one or if you have one vent, cover up half of it. Humidity is a combination of water in the environment, heat and air movement.

Cheers Hawkeye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back