Humidity levels

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pines

Reaction score
Just a quick one if I could. I have just purchased a you beaut thermometer that also tells the humidity. Now my question is what is the correct reading that should be in the enclosure for a Victorian Carpet. Should the reading be the same for the entire enclosure or should it vary like the heat. This reading some times goes done to 50 and probably even lower. Is this to low or high. If so how can this be fixed up. The humidity doesn't seem to effect the owner of the enclosure but I wouldn't really know. Things seemed to be good until I got the new thermometer. technology aint it a great thing. Now I get worried always looking at the reading. Any help would be appreciated.

Pines

Hi Pines

haven't heard from you for a while, nice to see you're out there. From memory you're well South of me. The humidity in my snake room and the rest of the house probably is currently at 69% and is usually around 65% in the snake enclosures. I'm pretty sure that this is ok for my diamond ( not so sure about the olives). I would think 50 is ok but on the low side. I believe a bit higher would be a benefit during shedding. You can raise the humidity if you need to by putting the water bowl under the heater end.

See what the more knowledgable members say.

rgds..G

hi
i dont hav a victorian carpet but i do hav a caret from a little south of sydney. I am not positive on this one but i suspect the humidity should be around 60%-65%.

If we dont have a humidity measurer thingy to know the exact reading. How close to the heat lamp should the water dish go, just roughly. :?:

Depends on the size of your enclosure. Mine at 1m high x 1m long x 50cm deep needs the water bowl all the way up the hot end, also sitting on a heat pad. this brings it to around 50% to 70%(at different points in the enclosure). I would say for most enclosures that it should be around the middle to warm end. Could be wrong though as I am only going on what I would think.
Cheers Sim

My 2 cents.
If you need to place a water bowl at the "hot end" then I would suggest you place another down the cool end.At a guess I would say that given a choice between the 2 snakey would choose to drink from the cooler dish.

cheers M.....

THanks for the tips, yeah Graham I'm at goulburn and I've been away on and off working for a while, I might try and throw another bowl of water at the hot end to try and get the humidity up a bit and see if that works, once again thanks for the tips and replys.

Pines

If keeping 2 waterbowls is a prob due to floor room,You could use a jar filled with moist peat moss.Simply drill holes in the lid and experiment with jar sizes and placement of jar untill the right humidity is reached.

That?s a good idea Cyber, (jar filled with moist peat moss), that might be something for Fangs to consider, as he has shedding problems with one of his Maccies.

I know you said your humidity seems right Fangs, but why not try it, it just might work, nothing to loose and so far no one had any better suggestions.
Maybe, just maybe your Maccie needs more humidity than the other ones.

Just a thought.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back