Hungry or just hopeful?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jacevy

Reaction score
I found my RSP sitting like the photo shows. He just waited like this for hours. Is he hungry (he fed on Sunday) or do they sit like this before they are actually due to feed.

numaqaga.jpg

He is on fuzzy rats.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

my little roughie does that every time i turn off his day light, he immediately climbs down to one of his bottom sticks and lines up in an ambush position, tho I've tried feeding him and most time hes not hungryView attachment 309029
sorry for the crap photo, its the only one i have of him doing this at the moment
ive found with mine anyway if he is hungry he is really active at night, like REALLY active.
grats on your RSP too he looks gorgeous

Last edited:
I have Morelia that do exactly this, only ceasing for approx 4 days after feeding then resuming - They usually take up the position above the location where they are fed in their enclosures. They are not aggressive or snappy when in this stance. Some of these snakes are adults and on 2 or 3 week feed cycles. I believe it is purely opportunistic which is outlined as characteristic of their behaviour in the wild in a number of reference texts I have. Their formation directly above where they are fed in their enclosure also lends to this theory.

If you are feeding the right volume (10-20% of bodyweight every 7-10 days) he should be fine. It is rare to *need* to deviate much from this. If he is underfed he may well be hungry but I wouldn't assume he was hungry just because he is sitting like this unless you are underfeeding based on his weight. As you have not provided any further details (weight, food weight, frequency etc...) I am making the assumption that this side of things is all correct. Also it is a good idea to weigh your food items. I have seen what people call 'Fuzzy Rats' vary significantly in size/volume from supplier to supplier.

I would have *huge* snakes if I fed them every 4 days when they assumed this stance. If your feed volumes are correct and the snake is not showing food aggression towards you I would not be concerned - A quick check of animal weight and food weight will give you the answer about likelihood of strong hunger or wishful thinking.

my RSP was fed sunday and would of happily fed again last night, he is a PIG though. how old is yours? I would try feeding him tonight :p for mine feeding varies on his activity really, it can be between 5-8 days between feeds.

Okay.
I'll leave it until Saturday night and up his feed size. He eat them fast but he does get descent lump from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back