Hungry

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptiles4me

Reaction score
Hey guys one of my geckos is showing strange behaviour that I have never seen before in all my years of working with reptiles. He is not eating and he is chasing his tail I've checked for mites and I have put him in a smaller feeding enclosure. Please help

How long has he not been eating for? Could you give us more information on enclosure temps, is he housed with other Geckos, how old is he etc?

I have read in the past that Geckos sometimes mistake their tail for prey and end up chasing it, other sites & books have suggested its a sign of stress. Not sure how true it actually is but popping onto Google, it is mentioned on various worldwide forums.

He has not eaten for about 4 days ,He is 11 months old ,Housed by himself and tank temp is about 25-30 Celsius ,the breed is marbled velvet gecko and this behaviour started about a week ago I thought it may have been a phase you know a one of thing but now I don't know.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the problem is low calcium levels yet I dust his crickets and I mix a gram or so of calcium powder with his water. So I don't see how it could be low calcium levels.

All your years ?
Just relax and leave him a few crickets in there and give him a good drink.
Keep him nice and dark

A photo of your set up would help identify any issues. Have you provide adequate hide sites? Any shedding problems?

I just tried fixing it try clicking on the image number now

Ok I'm little bit more worried then normally because he is only 10 months old roughly. Good news has come he has eaten one cricket of the 4 that I put in his enclosure. A week ago he bit me do you think he mite have done something to his jaw because as most geckos he dose have week and fragile bones due to their small size.

- - - Updated - - -

I will check him over in 10 minutes maybe he will be a little bit better after eating that cricket. Also I mite put a towel over the enclosure if you think I should keep him nice and dark

- - - Updated - - -

You can now see the images I just uploaded of the enclosuer

- - - Updated - - -

He has now eaten all the crickets but he keeps starting and stoping the tail chasing thing any ideas

- - - Updated - - -

It's ok he's stopped the strange behaviour now maybe you were right Snipercap maybe he did think his tail was prey.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back