Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
when was the show filmed? go on by what lisa said at the end that the snake they did catch wasn't 100% healthy but is now, the show must have been filmed a while ago, maybe this new species will turn up soonish in books, but hasn't yet because its too new a species??

It was filmed this year, I guess. Being the dry season, I'd say maybe 2-3months ago. Could be last year, though

i guess though weigel had already found one so you'd think the species would already exsist even if there was none in captivity?

yeah the first part they were saying that a Park Ranger found the first one and every attempt to bring one into captivity has resulted in none being alive.

If it was described by Wells and Wellington in 1987 then that throws the bucket on the bit about it being discovered by Weigel ten tears ago.

I enjoyed watching some normal people do a herp show for once instead of crikey and idiots like Austin Stevens...Did anyone see his last show on the giant anaconda....what a goose!!!!

There was also a mertins monitor,bluey and ackie in the show lol To see the 8th and largest recorded roughy in the wild i think was awesome!!!Good show!!!

From what I can gather the identification of the snake is still in dispute.

I was first described by Wells and Wellington in 1987 and given the name Cannia weigeli (disputed by Hoser)

I has since then be described as Pailsus pailsei by Hoser in 1998

It has also been described as Pseudechis weigeli

Then there are others that state that this snake is really a Pseudechis australis sub spiecies

Regards David

I enjoyed it. Its really hard to go into a new area and find herps. I've traveled 1200 km to "good" herp spots and seen almost nothing so I know how they feel. Its good that the roughy wasn't placid, indicates it hadn't got there in a bag. Loved the night tiger.
But hated the narration, not the voice just the script. What was the bit about a missing link between the eastern brown and the king brown?

Browns, it definately wasnt the 8th Roughie found. There are 3 lodged in the perth Museum, John Wiegel found one that was left there, one was collected illegally and claimed in the NSW amnesty. Then the ARP collected 5 on permit. Plus I have seen a pic of 3 found mating in a rock crevice. So all up 14 have been found so far.

Also, I dont think it was a Ackie, but in actual fact a Kimberley Rock Monitor. To me the most impressive animal was that fantastic looking monster Brown Tree Snake. They grow them big and pretty up in the Kimberleys. Would loved to have seen that one in the daylight.

Seeing the show was about the Weigeli, I felt they could have shown a little more of this specimen. That was a let down.

They grow them big and pretty up in the Kimberleys.

Yep forgot to mention that was the nicest night tiger i've seen even if it was in the dark and on tv....

bigguy said:
one was collected illegally and claimed in the NSW amnesty.
bigguy said:
So all up 14 have been found so far

Add that the other one that was also collected illegally and claimed in the amnesty, there have been at least 15 found so far.

Simon Archibald

I was really disappointed. The first 10 mins after Lisa was all American style crap. Searching for the missing link crap. Did they explain why it was the missing link. And then all that soft and mixed focus stuff over and over again of some brown snake. My kids kept saying 'there it is' and 'why didnt they catch that one'. Why they didnt use good footage of other browns and explain a bit more is beyond me.

Sad that instead of following well thought out docos of the Attenborough style we choose to follow the American "get a bit of footage and back to the video library for some sensational voice over work style".

Now if you are still reading I do want to congratulate the actual herpers involved. They got some great footage and I'll bet it was very hard work.

It reminded me of my Channel Ten days where the people who controlled the money really didnt care about the content and you end up with something that shows once and never again.

I'll bet there is loads of excellent content answering all the questions we have that the studio execs cut as being boring.

Just my rant. and again to all at ARP and especially the few closely involved well done.

i reckon it was a good show done by two good people. They are entertainers and are really great people. Just remember the types of people they have to compete with, steve irwin and terri, ranger mick, just to name a couple. I feel it was more a family show rather than one especially for us herper types.......the show was also done in july i believe they show said............and it had to be after i left the park in march...........

Fuscus said:
I enjoyed it. Its really hard to go into a new area and find herps. I've traveled 1200 km to "good" herp spots and seen almost nothing so I know how they feel. Its good that the roughy wasn't placid, indicates it hadn't got there in a bag. Loved the night tiger.
But hated the narration, not the voice just the script. What was the bit about a missing link between the eastern brown and the king brown?
YEAH I agree FUSCUS but you dont film 4 snakes and sell it to a tv station for $$$$$$$$$$$ Really the show was just crap Less talk more herping would have been heaps better !

But, as the tv people do, they had to make the show (in that time slot) interesting for the MASSES, not the HERPERS.

So if you watched it as though you knew nothing, it was a great show, i thoroughly enjoyed it.

Plus, any show that shows off our natural beauty and awesome wildlife, is a great show in my eyes.

there was definently another person there as well, as the camera had both of them in frame as they were catching one of the monitors, and the camera was following both of them.. there were plenty of shots of both of them climbing up a rock face together and the camera was already up the top of the cliff, moving around. I didnt understand why thay camped so far away from the places they wanted to go snake catching either, every day they spent 3 hours hiking to get to the dry river beds to go looking for snakes..... why not camp closer to there? most of the film was them getting somewhere, and not doing anything!!!
I didnt like it much, it was to american style.

craig

It was still better than politics! :p I liked the lil freshy he caught too. :)

eddy said:
YEAH I agree FUSCUS but you dont film 4 snakes and sell it to a tv station for $$$$$$$$$$$ Really the show was just crap Less talk more herping would have been heaps better !
If a TV channel was willing to pay me $$$$$$$$$$$ for filming 4 snakes, I would do it - end of story.The strongest point was that it showed just how hard it is to find rare wildlife, I've done two trips to the Gammon Ranges (600km north of Adelaide) only to come back with one useable photo and one useless muffler system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back