Huntsmans

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I uses to be terrified of them, I went to bed once when I was little, when I woke up, I rolled over on my pillow to see this huge huntsman staring back...My sister then told me it was hiding behind our cupboard, and I didn't go in the room for days...Now, I love them...they're just misunderstood...

The people saying kill them: how is this any different to people saying the only good snake is a dead snake...Same thing, different animal

Last edited:
See I'd catch a Huntsman but apparently they go all spazzy when you catch them and freak out in a tank. That's why I leave them out -- I still love them though.

The people saying kill them: how is this any different to people saying the only good snake is a dead snake...Same thing, different animal

Agreed! Amazing how hypocritical some people can be when it comes to something they deem 'scary'.
Especially from a group used to opposition from the 'cute and cuddly' pet lovers.

Oh and the huntsman on my hand on page 2 is a little one by comparison, anyone living semi-rurally around queensland can attest to that :)

And Snakeluvver3, I'd wouldn't keep one in a tank as they're a hunting spider (imagine that!), and tend to roam far more than the the web builders and burrowing varieties. But this little guy wasn't phased by my presence at all and I've a few other photos of him chilling on my hand, arm and shoulder around somewhere. Most of the time they bolt pretty quick if they think they've been spotted however.

I've found the huntsmans to be completely un-aggro. I was pushing rubbish into our pint-sized rubbish bin last night and what flew up my arm...yep! :lol: I can't say it didn't scare the crap outta me, but then I picked it up off the ground with my hand and placed it gently into a nearby shrub. Even the really big ones, who look intimidating etc etc are pussycats. I never kill them if i find them around the house, much to the disgust of the missus :lol:

all huntsmans get the name george or fred in our house. at our old house mum and my sister tried killing a massive huntsman witha broom, water and rexona....i just put my hand out and let it go outside. that was when mum knew she was in for trouble.

They really are a gentle spider. They've unfortunately been gifted with a large frame which makes them look a little intimidating. They're really like a Daddy Long Legs on roids :lol: :D

When I was younger I was sitting on a chair bent over eating cereal and watching tele when I got an itchy bum so when I went to scratch it I felt something big and hairy, i threw what ever it was behind me and when I turned around it was a huntsman rearing up at me, I've never been scared so much in my life lol now I'm almost arachnophobic

When I was on grade 9 camp someone found a huntsman in his pack and jumped backwards in fright, he then started to scream and the teacher thought he broke something! The huntsman was only the size of a spoon and even the teachers wouldn't pick it up, apparently they are aggressive and highly venomous, I was the one who had to move it.

Scare the absolute poo out of me but I find them fascinating. I'd rather remove than kill though, but I've got an irrational fear that bugs/arachnids that creep me out can drill through glass apparently; my skin crawls unbearably even when there's a jar between me and it. I get my husband to get rid of them :oops:

A very good point.

I still don't like them. But they have their place in the ecosystem.

Oh and the huntsman on my hand on page 2 is a little one by comparison, anyone living semi-rurally around queensland can attest to that :)

Oooh, yeah. I've seen plenty of dead huntsmans around the same size as the one you had, and the day before I saw the spider that inspired this thread, I saw a little live one. I thought, "Oh, well, if that's the size they're going to be, I can handle that." Then Mama turned up...

I hope there are none larger than her.

They really are a gentle spider. They've unfortunately been gifted with a large frame which makes them look a little intimidating. They're really like a Daddy Long Legs on roids :lol: :D

Awww, you make them sound all cute and cuddly.

Last edited:
We don't mind them, just gave our current 'resident' a woody for dinner - as it's christmas and all :p

That or a stick. Put the bug on the tip, then take it right to his nose (they like it close) and they'll grab it straight away. They pounce quite fast, you can really feel it :D Tis fun.

You've taken away a little fear and replaced it with curiosity... unfortunately though with kids in the house at the age of 'poke it until it either bites me or doesn't move anymore', it's probably safer for the huntsman if I get my husband to remove it. At least until they get to the age of 'leave the damn thing alone to do it's thing' ;)

...or until you find a longer stick ;) He's still there this morning clutching the shriveled remains of the roach lol. There's not much left!

They're big enough at times to tickle under the chin :D

Feeding now and again, yes, I think I can gird my lady-balls enough to do that... tickling? The young eb I found in my driveway was big enough to tickle under the chin, but that certainly doesn't mean I'm going to do it... :shock:

They're big enough at times to tickle under the chin :D

I think that comment needs to come with a disclaimer, Moose. "To the extent made possibly by law, Moosenoose Pty Ltd take no responsibility for consequences that may flow from any person or persons taking this comment seriously, blah blah blah..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back